by ShohanSen Contributor
Contributor

Re: Unlocking your mobile phone or device – The EE quick guide

Hi!

I have an iPhone 5S that I'm looking to sell now that I've upgraded phones. I don't have an alternate SIM card to check whether the phone is unlocked, but am I correct in assuming that if the phone was bought from an alternative vendor, the phone is likely to be unlocked anyway?

Thanks!

20 REPLIES 20
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Is iPhone Bought from 3rd-Party Vendor Unlocked?

@ShohanSen: No, you can't assume that. It could have been sold SIM-Free which means it locks to the 1st SIM activated in it. This is typical of CPW iPhones.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @ShohanSen,

Welcome to the EE Community.

If you are out of contract, you can unlock your phone for free via the online unlocking form.

Hope this helps.

James

by ShohanSen Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

I am out of contract and filled in the form, but the device was found via the IMEI number rather than a phone number because the phone currently does not have a SIM card in it. Would this be a viable process for the phone to unlock?

Thanks again!

by

Hi @ShohanSen,

Yes, as long as it's the correct IMEI number that's fine.

Thanks

James

by ShohanSen Contributor
Contributor

Brilliant! Thanks for your help!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, that's correct for a phone bought directly from EE, but if it was bought elsewhere EE might not recognise it.

In which case you will need to call Customer Services on 0800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They may take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by

No problem @ShohanSen Smiley Happy

James

by ShohanSen Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! EE were able to unlock the phone via only the IMEI number Smiley Happy

Much appreciated

by

Brilliant news @ShohanSen

Richard

🙂

by ShohanSen Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I sent a request to unlock an old iPhone with the IMEI number and I received a text on my current number to notify me that the phone had been unlocked. However, when I placed a non-EE sim card into the iPhone, I received a message saying the SIM card was not supported. 

I wanted to contact EE to check that the unlock had been successfully completed (is this the best way to check the unlock has been carried out?) but after calling 150, I was a little unsure on what option to select. I selected "1" for mobile phones, but what should I select after that? 

Many thanks for your help!

by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome to the community @ShohanSen,

You do need to complete the unlocking using a compatible SIM, are you in the UK?

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ShohanSen  What model iPhone is it ?  

Is the SIM card your using my activated?  You can not use a unactivated SIM card in a different network locked device. 

by ShohanSen Contributor
Contributor

Ah! That might be it! The new SIM card isn't activated yet. I'll activate the SIM card card and let you both know if the problem is solved Smiley Happy

by
EE Employee

by ShohanSen Contributor
Contributor

I used two SIM cards, both of which I am pretty sure are activated. On both occasions, the SIMs were "not supported". I am 90% sure at least one of the SIM cards were activated because I believe I did so earlier, but cannot check for sure as I have no unlocked devices other than the iPhone I am trying to unlock currently.

Therefore, my original question stands; what is the best way to contact EE to double check that the unlock request was processed correctly.

I really appreciate the prompt help you have provided me thus far Smiley Happy

by
EE Employee

Hi @ShohanSen

Which network SIM cards have you tried?

Many thanks,

Lee

by ShohanSen Contributor
Contributor

I tried O2 (which, when 'googled', told me that their SIM cards come readily activated) and Lebara mobile (which I believe I activated earlier, but cannot be 100% sure) SIM cards.

by
EE Employee

Hi @ShohanSen,

Please see @XRaySpeX 's post on contacting the unlocking team.

Many thanks,

Lee 

by ShohanSen Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys! 

I was able to contact the team and now all the devices I wanted unlocked, are unlocked!

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.