by Mumamia Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Re: How to unlock my phone to any network? EE lock

Hi

I have a sort of similar question about unlocking a phone

I can not give to much information away as this is under investigation but not being phone literate i just would like some questions answered if possible

I found out after a few months of purchasing new phone that it was sold to me only a few days after a contract was taken out.

I had no idea as my sim worked perfectly for a few months then stopped

Now with EE I believe you are not allowed to sell or dispose of a phone for 6 months also it was put on blacklist.

Now for some reason the phone has been removed from the blacklist but not by EE as it is still on EE blacklist for unpaid contract.

Can the person be traced that unlocked the phone before selling it to me and they  removed it from the Blacklist.

How on earth can this be done

I hope the answer is yes there must be a papertrail so to speak.

To let you know ee know it is not me as i have proof of purchase and I have not put my sim card in the phone since it stopped working even though it would probably work if I did

But I know for sure that the Blacklist will go back on at some point whilst money is owed

Many Thanks in advance

Can anybody help

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Re: Trace the person who sold blacklisted phone to me

Yes EE will know who took out the contract but they will never tell you. For data protection reasons it is against the law for them to tell you.

They can prevent official unlocks but not unofficial unlocks that may circumvent the checks EE have in place. Judging by what you have said it would appear this device has been unlocked illegally (jailbroken) if it is less than 6 months old.

31 REPLIES 31
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: How to unlock my phone to any network? EE lock

Hello @Mumamia not through EE no for data protection reasons EE will never give out details about another customer.

Your only option is to try and contact the seller yourself, either through the site you purchased the device from or check your PayPal and email address to see if you have any contact details.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Trace the person who sold blacklisted phone to me

@Mumamia: EE will not provide you with any details of the original owner nor can they remove the blacklist for anyone bar the original owner.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Hi

Thank you for your replies maybe I am not explaining very well what I am asking

The person that sold me the phone or somebody else that gave him the phone

Unlocked it without permission from EE

I was told it was Factory unlocked and did not think otherwise

Now it clearly is illegal what has been done about unlocking and removing the IMEI Number from a Blacklist.

Can EE trace who unblocked the phone before they sold it to me and who removed it from the blacklist

I am not very computer literate either so took me a while to work out this forum

Many Thanks

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

No they can not trace the owner. They will not do this even if they could they would be breaking the law.

If you can not contact the seller yourself then you are stuck with a blacklisted device I am sorry. This is always a risk when purchasing a second hand device no matter how new it is or how genuine the seller appears.

Established Contributor

Hi

I am not asking ee for any personal details but they blacklisted the phone through non payment fair enough

Now it has been removed from blacklist but not by EE

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

No EE will not remove the blacklist either. This can only be removed by the original owner paying off the amount owed towards the contract.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

An EE locked phone cannot be unlocked w/out going thro' EE. EE would not have unlocked it for anyone when it is less than 6 months old. It cannot have been properly unlocked. Much the same goes for the blacklist.

Everything you have been told is just hearsay & none of it makes sense.

Even if EE could trace the things you allege happened, they will never do it for you.

Your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from or lodging a buyer complaint with the site you bought it on, if it's like eBay.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Sorry I do not understand what you mean they cant trace the owner they know who the owner is as he walked into an EE shop and took out a contract 

As EE do not allow their customers to sell a contract phone within the first 6 months surely they have a system in place to stop the phone being unlocked and the person traced that unlocked it

Established Contributor

Sorry what do you mean not properly unlocked its either locked or not

I put my sim in and it worked for over 6 months how can that happen

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Yes EE will know who took out the contract but they will never tell you. For data protection reasons it is against the law for them to tell you.

They can prevent official unlocks but not unofficial unlocks that may circumvent the checks EE have in place. Judging by what you have said it would appear this device has been unlocked illegally (jailbroken) if it is less than 6 months old.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I just don't believe what you've been told. Nor should you.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@tm90   You cannot install a jailbreak on a iOS device and unlock it via that means anymore.  No one is creating baseband hacks as the iPhone is now  practically on every network.  This  actually stopped around  iOS 4 and the baseband was something like 9.12.

Established Contributor

I came on here for some help but I am not understanding some of the answers that I have been given

The information I have given on here has actually come from EE and not the person that sold me the phone

It is with EE fraud at the moment but i just wanted to know how the hell they unlocked the phone Not by EE

Then to find the phone had been blacklisted when I did a check on google this was confirmed by EE

Then last night whilst on the phone to EE the lady you do realize that the IMEI Number is not on the black list I said great does that mean they have paid the bill and I can have the phone i paid for working now.

She said they still owe tghe money so I told to pass this information with everything else to EE fraud which she did.

The lady herself had never heard of this before

so you can imagine how I am feeling to say confused is an understatement.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

As you have already placed this matter with the EE Fraud Dept., then they are the best placed to answer all your Qs & come to a resolution.

Have you checked this phone's status on Checkmend.com - CheckMEND‎ ?

Established Contributor

Hi

Chris sorry but i really do not understand the term jailbrake or the other things you was talking about

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Mumamia   You probably find you purchase a unused Sim free device. 

This will lock to the first network that first SIM card thats used in the device,  and it was provided never used on EE so it didn’t need to be unlocked.    

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Chris_B I meant jailbreak in a general term there must be unofficial ways of unlocking an Apple iPhone out there.

@Mumamia how do you know the device was unlocked? What network SIM card were you using in it?

Basically someone has taken out an EE contract, sold the device that came with it and not paid their phone bill. EE have then blacklisted the device for none payment.

Until they pay their phone bill EE will not unblacklist it under any circumstance.

The EE fraud team will have access to all of these details and will assist you as best they can.

Established Contributor

Just for information it is an android phone not an iphone

And yes the phone does belong to EE and still has unpaid instalments on

I do not believe this was a sim only phone going by the information on the box but it was sealed

I put in a 3 mobile sim with no problem

I also reported it straight to the police/Action Fraud

I feel fairly confident that this will get resolved as I have built up so much evidense 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@tm90  I’m sure that there are some who will to do this sort of thing for a back hander.     

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.