by LaidlawUk Investigator
Investigator

Problems trying to Unlock iPhone

I’m trying to Unlock my iPhone I checked and it said “Your device is locked to EE. If you need to use it on a different network please visit myaccount.ee.co.uk/device-unlock/ to submit your request” so I filled in the form but all I gets is “Sorry - we can't unlock this phone as we don't recognise it as being locked to EE, Orange or T-Mobile“ 

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Problems trying to Unlock iPhone

Investigator

I had it off my Daughter so Secondhand

by
EE Community Team

Hi @LaidlawUk,

Welcome to the community 🙂

Which network did your daughter buy it on? The unlocking request needs to be to the network the phone is locked too.

Which network SIM card are you trying to use in the phone?

Alex 🙂

Investigator

Thank you! ☺️

It was on EE when she had it and at the moment I’ve got a EE Pay as you Go Sim in it.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The msg in MyEE that “Your device is locked to EE" is misleading. It is ahown whether or not your device is unlocked. Have you tried another network's SIM in it?

You cannot use the online unlocking form for 2nd-hand phones.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @LaidlawUk

Thanks for coming back to us.

Do you want to use a different network SIM in the phone?

If you are using an EE SIM the iPhone won't need unlocked if this is also on EE.

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@LaidlawUk   You need to find out where you daughter got it from.  There are MVNO (virgin mobile is one) networks that use the EE network to give their customers a signal and while a EE SIM card will work in one of these devices EE doesn’t recognise the device as locked to their network as its a MVNO network phone.   You need to as your daughter where the device came from as you need to ask that MVNO network to unlock the device. 

the response from EE as the device is not recognised is a typical response when its a MVNO network device. 

no point in calling customer services and going through the options that an @XRaySpeX has given you because as I said and from your first post it’s not recognised as locked to EE so EE can not unlock it. 

Investigator

It’s my Back-Up iPhone I’m already on EE but Sim Only I wanted to put a Giffgaff Sim in because my Back-Up Phone Number is on Giffgaff but I found EE Pay as you Go to expensive to keep it running on EE

I just checked again from Chris_B’s Link above and now it’s saying “Your Device is Locked to EE”

🤦‍

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You cannot use the online unlocking form for 2nd-hand phones.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.