by brokenphone2 Investigator
Investigator

Pixel 2 not unlocked after 5 days

Hi EE,

You accepted the unlock request on the 29th (it is nearly 18 months into its contract) and unfortunately the Pixel 2 device is still locked to EE. Whenever another SIM is tried the "SIM card isn't supported" message appears in Device setup, suggesting I contact EE for an unlock.

Steps tried:

-factory reset

-factory reset 2x in a row

-sideloading the latest OTA update from the official Google side via Android Debug

-checking for updates after factory reset

-resetting and rebooting with 1) no SIM; 2) an EE SIM; 3) an O2 SIM; 4) a GiffGaff SIM

Have spoken to EE by phone, Twitter; and also Google by phone several times. EE say they've done everything, speak to Google. Google say it's unlocked / speak to EE.

It has now been 5 days and the device is still locked. Also, there are several similar reports popping up online which suggests this is not an isolated case.

Is there a way to have this escalated? As the phone is still in contract is it eligible for an RMA / replacement? Google suggested that it may be an issue with the device.

I understand the team who deal with this are available until 9pm - it would be good to get this resolved going into the weekend, thanks. I can Private Message the IMEI / account details if needed.

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Pixel 2 not unlocked after 5 days

@brokenphone2   What network SIM cards have you tried?  

Investigator

O2; GiffGaff.

(and EE just in case it needed an EE SIM first before unlocking).

Any others I should try? Thanks/

Investigator

These are both O2 - should I try Vodafone or Three? Not sure if / why this would make a difference. Any info appreciated, thanks.

Investigator

Three SIM doesn't work either @Chris_B 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@brokenphone2  Don’t use a 3 sim as these can causes issues.   Just to check how did you request the unlock?  Did you get the device yourself from EE ?  

Investigator

Fourteen seconds too late, just tried with a Three SIM.

Device unlocked via EE customer services. It's a direct-from-EE device still in contract (about 18 months in).

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@brokenphone2   So you paid the £8.99 to have it unlocked before the contract minimum term ?  

Investigator

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@brokenphone2   Have you had a message saying it’s unlocked?  

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.