by MarkG3 Investigator
Investigator

Pixel 2 Unlock Issue

Hello,

We have inherited a Pixel 2 from our Son who has an account with EE and upgraded his device to a Pixel 3. 

The device is over 2 years old and should have already automatically unlocked but hasnt.

I rang EE and asked them to unlock the device, and they told me it could take up to 48 hours - after waiting longer i chased them, and they said they would put the request in again - but over 5 days later from the original request - the phone still remains locked to EE.

The EE team seem unable to advise why the device hasnt auto-unlocked, or why subsequent requests to unlock havent worked. 

As directed, we left the phone on and connected to Wifi, the device did receive Android updates and the phone has been restarted, but still the phone doesnt like the SIm inserted and always displays the same error "Sim card isnt supported. Ask EE whether the device can be unlocked"

Im a bit stuck here.. Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Pixel 2 Unlock Issue

Hi @MarkG3,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I've sent you a private message.

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@MarkG3   Don’t use a 3 SIM card as these can have issues until the device is unlocked.  Use a Voda or O2 sim and once it’s working with them you can use a 3 sim. 

by MarkG3 Investigator
Investigator

Were trying with a Virgin SIM - but ive also put a Vodafone SIM in and it still hasnt worked.

by brokenphone2 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Mark,

Same issue here. Requested unlock on the 29th, paid the £8.99. Told up to 48 hours. Hadn't gone through by afternoon of the 31st so called back again, asked to ring Google!

Both Google and EE report that the device should be unlocked, but as of right now it isn't.

Steps tried:

-factory reset

-factory reset 2x in a row

-sideloading the latest OTA update from the official Google side via Android Debug

-checking for updates after factory reset

-resetting and rebooting with 1) no SIM; 2) an EE SIM; 3) an O2 SIM; 4) a GiffGaff SIM

Have spoken to EE by phone, Twitter; and also Google by phone several times.

It has now bee 5 days and the device is still locked. Also, there are several similar reports popping up online which suggests we're not isolated cases.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @brokenphone2.

I've responded to your private message.

Jon

by MarkG3 Investigator
Investigator

A quick update.. We took the phone to an EE shop today who, after having the same discussions with EE support people, tried wiping the phone - but this still didnt work..   After returning home, we reconnected the device to our Wifi and then within minutes it kicked into life and now seems to be ok. SIM is working and can make/receive calls

by
EE Community Team

Hi @MarkG3,

I'm so glad this is now sorted for you and the phone is fully unlocked 🙂

Thanks for coming back to share with us.

Hope to see you around the community again soon!

Alex 🙂

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions