by Lesley251067 Contributor
Contributor

Phone unlocked now locked again

I had my s7 edge unlocked at end of my contract, I put a different sim in after it was unlocked and worked as it should, this was a few months ago, then on Monday 3rd September I was using phone on my new sim (giffgaff) when I got a bleep looked at screen there was a triangle with MM under it and message saying Phone not allowed, i put my sim into another phone to make sure it wasn’t the network and it worked fine, I put an O2 sim in my Samsung and it works fine but when I put my giffgaff sim back in the message appears again? Does this mean EE have re-locked my phone? Thanks

20 REPLIES 20
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Phone unlocked now locked again

If an O2 sim is working then this wouldn't be the case that the phone has locked again. Or otherwise your O2 sim wouldn't work.

Can you get hold of another Giffgaff sim to test that one?

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Lesley251067

Welcome to the community. 

I agree with @BrendonH. If the O2 SIM works, that indicates that the phone isn't locked to EE.

Does your Giff Gaff SIM work in a different unlocked phone?

Chris

Contributor

I’ve tried 3 other giffgaff sims all that are live and are in use daily

Contributor

Yes I put my giffgaff sim into another iPhone which is on O2 and it works perfectly and the O2 sim works perfectly in my Samsung s7edge?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Lesley251067  Giffgaff use the o2 network to give its customers a signal so if the o2 works in the device it should work with the giffgaff sim.   The device is definitely not locked to EE again. 

Contributor

I contacted giffgaff who looked into the problem, I explained about my giffgaff working in another phone and an O2 sim working in my s7edge, this is their reply.....

this is good to know. Your next port of call is to contact EE about this as they might be able to shed light on this one.  I can confirm with certainty that the issue is that the phone has an IMEI bar in place. This is the full cause of your issues you’re experiencing.

Once you get this bar removed you’ll have full access to the phone once more.

by

Hi @Lesley251067,

I don't think that is correct.

The ability to use an O2 SIM in your phone rules out the phone being locked.

Have you tried backing up your phone and performing a factory reset?

Thanks

James

Contributor

Morning, thank you for replying.....

last night I backed up my phone onto an external hard drive and reset to factory 😢 still the same nothing changed! But that rules that out now...I remembered this morning, I had the phone replaced via my insurance back in February 2018, as screen broke, this was through Aviva insurance who use car phone warehouse, I really do not know if this is relevant, but I just do not understand how this has happened I’ve had the giffgaff sim in the phone for months never had any problems, it’s not a 2nd hand phone, it’s always been mine, it was originally on EE but they unlocked it for me which obviously was ok as I’ve been able to use it? I’m stumped 🤔 just do it know what to do now, I’m using an iPhone which is ok but i prefer my Samsung, do you think that’s it, it’s just barred to giffgaff? Later when my son gets in I will put he’s EE Sim in see if that works I will try all the networks se if it’s only giffgaff that can’t be used! 😉

by

Hi @Lesley251067,

Did giffgaff give you any further information about the IMEI bar you mentioned?

Were they referring to a lost and stolen bar/blacklist?

Thanks

James

Contributor

Hi James, 

That’s all they wrote, but I’ve just contacted them again to check they haven’t blocked or done something, I don’t know what they could had done really, I have contacted EE directly to check IMEI on my phone just to rule it out, but like I said, I’m going to put an EE sim in the Samsung see what happens there? I’m going to carphone warehouse as that’s where the phone came from maybe they can shed some light on this, I’m just amazed, I can’t believe what’s happened just goes to show you how much we rely on our phones and I hate changing my handset I like android over iOS but I gotta use what I have right now, thanks James

by

No problem @Lesley251067

Please keep us updated.

James

Contributor

Well this has thrown a spanner 🔧....I contacted Aviva to ask them to check the phone they sent to as a replacement insurance claim after screen broke, I cannot believe their reply....from Aviva...

Thank you for your recent email.

I have checked the account for you and I can see the IMEI that we sent out to you on 12/02/2018 was blacklisted by T-Mobile on 01/09/2018 as it was reported as lost/stolen. if the phone is not working for you I would advise you to contact T-Mobile to see why the phone was blacklisted.

my insurance company send me a replacement phone which could be stolen? Yet I’ve had it since February 2018, still,doesn’t add up, but there we go!

thank you all for all your help

lesley x 

by

Hi @Lesley251067,

Did they mention if it was T-Mobile UK?

Thanks

James

Contributor

Morning James, no mention if it we T-Mobile UK 🇬🇧 just what I wrote that was it, which for an insurance company I think is pretty bad but what can you do!  I’ve contacted T-Mobile so fingers crossed I’ll get a reply as apparently they’re part of EE? 

by

Hi @Lesley251067,

If you get in touch with customer services they should be able to check for you.

Thanks

James

Contributor

I’ve been on the phone for an hour, without resolution but there is light at the end of the tunnel, T-Mobile just need my insurance company to send proof that they sent the mobile to me, with proof of the imei so now just have to wait a day or so fingers crossed I’ll get my phone working again...thanks again will keep you posted if and when it gets de-Black listed 

by

Glad to hear a solution is near @Lesley251067!

James

Contributor

Update: after god knows how many messages to EE and TMobile I was no closer to getting my Samsung back to working with my sim. So Monday I phoned Aviva and requested a new phone considering they sent me a stolen (blacklisted) so they agreed and it’s being delivered today, problem now is will it happen again with this new one 😂 thanks you for all your assistance x

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

That's very good of them. I don't think they sent you a stolen phone though.

I think someone reported their phone stolen and gave your IMEI number. EE should have spotted that the phone wasn't used on that person's account.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.