by TinaIping Investigator
Investigator

Phone suddenly on Blacklist after replacement sim

So as the titel already says, my phone suddenly was put on the blacklist after I've gotten my replacement sim.

This is the summary about what happened, and why I'm actually quite angry about this.

--

So I've got this phone (A Samsung Galaxy Y) for like +-7 years, I bought it second hand (In The Netherlands as information) the phone was bricked and that person didn't had any use for it anymore so he/she (I don't know anymore let's say 'she' to keep it easy) sold the phone for someone who could fix it. And that was me, so I fixed the phone, updated it to a newer version and I've had that thing now for around 7 years, never did I had any issue regarding blacklist and stuff (I didn't even knew it existed!!)..

So now the main issue, a few days ago my EE Sim card (which was in normal working order for a year) stopped getting recognized by my phone, I thought my phone might finally show some age issues, I tried just in case the sim card from my husband (It was a T-mobile sim) if that was working.. at which it did.

At that moment I thought it might be a defect of my sim so I went to the EE store to arrange a replacement sim, the people there were really nice, they noticed because I have a 'pay on the go' sim I was not registered yet, so they registered me right there and then. After they registered me they wanted to arrange the replacement sim, they asked for my driver licence as identification (It's a Dutch driver licence) but that didn't get accepted by their machines, so I gave them my ID (also Dutch) at which didn't get recognized for some reason... But they said that should be no issue, they called the customer service (I think) and they said they could send it through the mail (which it did) they did though charge £1.50 for the delivery which they took of the credit (with my permission) I had on the sim.

So the day after I got the sim and on the letter it stated 'If this sim is to replace a lost, stolen, damaged or faulty one, just place the sim in your phone and you'll be able to use it straight away.' so that's what I did because it replaced a defected sim, I putted it in my phone and right away I didn't had any service... which I didn't know why, so I did the shut down and start-up thing a few times but that was no use... so I looked it up on google and somewhere on a EE forum it stated it 'could' take 24h to get it fully activated, so that I did, the next day I tried again to restart it and such but again no service... I waited until today to go to the store and ask what might be the problem, so I went to the store, and they were nice enough to borrow their phone (because well I don't have service and it's the only phone I have) to call the customer service.

There the person helped me out a little and eventually ended up checking if it was on the blacklist... and to my surprise it was!! I was not the one who ever contacted that place (because I didn't even know it existed) and it's on the blacklist for some reason...

She said someone had put the claim in and because their privacy policy they could not tell me who that person was... I tried the sim of my husband in the store and it didn't work anymore either!!

One thing I know for sure, I had this phone for 7 years no issue, the person I bought it from probably forgot this phone exists at all after those years, so I can be 100% certain that this happened when the replacement sim was requested.. because the day I went to the store to arrange the replacement sim, the sim of my husband was still working on my phone... and afterwards the 'no service' problem rose up.

I know this was a long post but I really want some answers, because I cannot accept that my phone has been put on the blacklist.. maybe accidentally, but still added to that stupid list I never knew existed after years of having this phone in my possesion... I think that if the original owner thought it was a good idea to report it, she would probably done that years ago!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Investigator
Solution

Re: Phone suddenly on Blacklist after replacement sim

Hi everyone who replied on this post!

First of all thank you to the EE community and later for the customer service for trying to help me solve this problem and all your tips to see what could be the problem as to why.

I can tell you guys that the problem has been solved!! yeay!

My phone indeed was accidentally put on the blacklist when I registered my number and requested the replacement sim.

EE got in contact with me and established that it indeed was not meant to happen and appoligized for the inconvenience and they have taken my phone from the list at which it should've never been on in the first place Smiley LOL

So also thank you EE for your swift response and your excelent customer service throughout!! I am so exctremely happy that my phone is going to be back to normal working order (they said it could take 24h before it's back to normal).

Also is there a way to flag this post as 'solved' ??

Thanks again to all of you at this community and to EE!

Cheers,

Tina

14 REPLIES 14
by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @TinaIping

Thanks for coming to the community.

Did the store ask what phone you were using or for the IMEI number?

When you spoke to our customer service team, did they check your account and see if this was blacklisted from us?

Thanks, Leanne.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @TinaIping

Assuming the device is unlocked can you try an 02 SIM in it?

Why you maybe asking? The Galaxy Y isn't 4G, its at best 3G over certain frequencies, so if EE have changed your local network it maybe your issue is that your phone picks up no service on EE network. 02 use more frequencies so if it works it's not the sim. 

As for the blacklisted device. This is strange and I would use checkmend to establish if it's really blacklisted and who blacklisted it. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Investigator

Hi @Leanne_T,

Thank you for replying, when I was in the store they didn't ask about my phone, they recommended to call customer service because they thought the sim card might've not been activated yet, the store personell didn't ask for the IMEI number.

When calling the customer service they did ask if I was registered at which I replied I was a couple a days ago, I gave the details and then she asked what phone I was using (which is a Samsung Galaxy Y) and they asked me to check my IMEI number (which she said I had to dial *#06#) and read the number... she then told me it was appearently blacklisted, I asked if she could see who did it and she said she could, but she could not tell me by who it was blacklisted because of privicy policy.

I hope this helps, and honestly I do think it was accidentally done by EE because the day I went to arrange a new replacement sim it was working fine even with another sim card.. and the day after (when the sim arrived in the mail) it all suddenly didn't work anymore not even another sim, which I find strange.

Cheers,

Tina

Investigator

Hi @Northerner,

Thanks for the advice, though I highly doubt it's a 4G/3G issue, it literally happened over night and another sim card (from T-Mobile which is an international number) was working fine aswell the day I arranged the replacement sim, the sim card itself works in like no problem in another device which is not mine (someone let me test the card to see if that was not the issue)

Thanks for giving me the link to Checkmend, I'll have a look at it to see if I can figure out who blacklisted me suddenly overnight.

Cheers,

Tina

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@TinaIping  The new SIM card you have put in the phone is this the first time a EE SIM card has been in the device?    

Jyst to add I find it very strange that as soon as you get a new sim the device is blacklisted.  

Investigator

Hi @Chris_B,

No it was not the first time an EE card was in my phone, I had the 'normal' Sim card for a year (I got to EE when I moved to the UK to get a UK phone number which was about a year ago), then my EE card didn't get recognized by my phone while a T-Mobile sim (my husbands sim card) worked. the same day I went to the store I tested the T-Mobile sim again just in case to see if I really could have a defected sim, and the T-mobile did get recognize in my phone and my EE Sim didn't get recognized in both mine and my husbands phone. That's why I asked for a replacement sim in the store... and the day after my phone is magically on the blacklist...

Cheers,

Tina

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@TinaIping  So does the T-Mobile SIM card still work in the phone ?   

Investigator

@Chris_B

No, that card does not work in my phone (the Samsung Galaxy Y) either... both the EE Replacement sim and the T-mobile sim work fine in my husbands phone (A Samsung Galaxy S2 which is not on the blacklist.)

Honestly I think it might've been put accidentally by EE on the blacklist.. dunno why.. but it all happened overnight after I arranged the replacement sim.. like you I also dunno how/why my phone would magically end up on the blacklist after a simple request of a replacement sim, and before this mubojumbo I actually didn't know this stupid 'blacklist' even existed, I don't even think any Dutch person would know!! when our phone gets stolen or lost it's literaly 'well that's **bleep**, nothing to do about that, gotta get a new one' and if we go to the police to report it and ask about that weird IMEI number how would we know if we don't have that device to look it up from!... also this phone was always used as a Pre-paid device (In the UK that's the same equivelant as 'Pay on the go') by me and by the person I had bought it from around 7 years ago.. so I know for a fact it's not a contract issue.

Cheers,

Tina

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@TinaIping 

All I can think of is someone reported a device lost and gave a incorrect IMEI number or the EE agent put the wrong number in the system to blacklist the device that was reported lost.  It’s not the first time this has happened.  

@Leanne_T if this device has been working for the last 7+ years then surly what I’ve put above has happened.   

just so you know you can get the IMEI number from the device packaging. 

Investigator

@Chris_B

I honestly had thought about that aswell that somebody reported a phone lost/stolen to EE the day I asked for a replacement sim and accidentally gave the wrong IMEI number... even though that is like a 'was on the wrong time in the wrong spot' situation.. and I still kindof feel screwed up that way.

I can still look up my IMEI number on my phone if I dial *#06#... if they want to have it I'll be happy to give it.

--

@Leanne_T+ @Northerner Also I have just looked up, just in case if my phone would be totally useless if I use it in my homeland (The Netherlands) if I go back home again (cause that's where the phone originally comes from)... and as long as that phone stays on Dutch grounds I can use it no problem, no matter if it's on the blacklist or not... around 2011 the The Netherlands does nothing with the IMEI number anymore (Because they figured it didn't work as well as they planned) therefore I can still use this phone on Dutch soil... SO now I'm 100% sure it's not blocked by the original owner and even more convinced it's blocked by someone in the UK.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @TinaIping

Thanks for the further information, I would love to get this looked into for you.

I have sent you a private message.

Katie 🙂

Investigator
Solution

Hi everyone who replied on this post!

First of all thank you to the EE community and later for the customer service for trying to help me solve this problem and all your tips to see what could be the problem as to why.

I can tell you guys that the problem has been solved!! yeay!

My phone indeed was accidentally put on the blacklist when I registered my number and requested the replacement sim.

EE got in contact with me and established that it indeed was not meant to happen and appoligized for the inconvenience and they have taken my phone from the list at which it should've never been on in the first place Smiley LOL

So also thank you EE for your swift response and your excelent customer service throughout!! I am so exctremely happy that my phone is going to be back to normal working order (they said it could take 24h before it's back to normal).

Also is there a way to flag this post as 'solved' ??

Thanks again to all of you at this community and to EE!

Cheers,

Tina

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@TinaIping  That’s great to hear. Try restarting the device a few times over the next few hours. 

Investigator

@Chris_B

Yeah I'm glad it's resolved either, I really was worried, I really love this phone (even though it's an oldy haha) it had never failed me over the years I had it.. even having it falling out of my pocket many times (as a result the battery getting out of there allot) it works like a smartphone for me should!

And thanks I'll try to restart it a couple times, I hope it's back quicker then the 24h xD

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions