by emmygemmy
Explorer

**PLEASE HELP URGENT** can an EE phone be unlocked before the minimum term???

hi please please help,

i just won an auction for a 6 month old google pixel locked to EE on ebay. i cannot use EE because of where i live so i would have to unlock this phone. i have been really stupid and not looked into this properly so i really need help before i pay for the phone.

is it possible that the seller has managed to get off their contract (usually 24 months) in around 6 months aka before the minimum term?

is it possible for a phone to be unlocked before the minimum term?

is it possible to pay off a contract before the minimum term?

i really don't want to be scammed so any help is very much appreciated

thanks 🙂

ps if there is anything you don't understand please say. thansk for reading this

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: **PLEASE HELP URGENT** can an EE phone be unlocked before the minimum term??

@emmygemmy: Yes, it can be unlocked after it's 6 months old. You would have to apply for unlocking it as a 2nd-hand phone.

What the seller does about their contract is not your concern, unless they start reporting it lost/stolen. They own the phone after 6 months.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on 0800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: **PLEASE HELP URGENT** can an EE phone be unlocked before the minimum term??

@emmygemmy: Yes, it can be unlocked after it's 6 months old. You would have to apply for unlocking it as a 2nd-hand phone.

What the seller does about their contract is not your concern, unless they start reporting it lost/stolen. They own the phone after 6 months.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on 0800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by emmygemmy
Explorer

@XRaySpeX
oh my gosh thankyou so much i haven't been able to find that answer anywhere for the past 3 hours 🙂

so just checking...

assuming the phone is older than 6 months (aka it now belongs to the seller rather than EE and the seller owes no money), unless the previous owner reports the phone lost or stolen i WILL be able to unlock it?

is that all correct? 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, the way I told you. 

by
EE Employee

Hi @emmygemmy and welcome to the community.

Please follow the great advice given by @XRaySpeX above.

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.