by vgenop Contributor
Contributor

PAYG iPhone unlock - device not recognized as being locked

Hello,

Very recently I bought full price a new iPhone Xs as PAYG device and I've registered the sim number to my account (I'm also on contract on EE).  I tried many times to unlock my device through the 'unlock device' page but I'm having trouble.

Although the page at first recognises my IMEI as a device locked by EE, when I proceed to the next steps I get the error 'Sorry - we can't unlock this phone as we don't recognise it as being locked to EE...).

I also tried to erase and restore the device with a different network sim but the phone remains locked.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Team
Solution

Re: PAYG iPhone unlock - device not recognized as being locked

Hi @vgenop,

Welcome to the community 🙂

You can unlock your pay as you go phone straight away free of charge.

If you are having difficulties completing the online form, give our customer care team a call and they will process it for you.

Alex

16 REPLIES 16
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@vgenop  I didn’t know EE sold the X on PAYG.  Where did you purchase this from ? 

You can not just put a payg sim

in a phone and request a unlock under the payg terms.   You’ll meed to call customer services to request the unlock and depending on how this device was originally purchased from EE ( if at all ) it might not be unlocked until 6 months have passed since it was originally purchased from EE.    

Please do reply back and I can guide you further.  I do need to know where you got the device from though. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Chris_B, Just checked no Apple phones on Pay as you Go, so this person would have either a contract from EE or bought it from Apple direct.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

by vgenop Contributor
Contributor

I did bought that from EE shop in Oxford as PAYG device. It is brand new iPhone Xs Max.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@vgenop, Well how you got it on pay as you go from EE is unbelievable, as no Apple phone on EE is sold on pay as you go, and even if as you say, you did, it is locked for six months and will not be unlocked before then, this’s would be with any network, by the way.

You need to read the terms and conditions properly, or someone gave you false information, these phones are very expensive and you would have had to pay over  £1000.-

by vgenop Contributor
Contributor

Very expensive indeed, I payed the whole price. But the shop assistant reassured me that the device can be unlocked in a couple of days and free of charge.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@vgenop  As @Schockwave says not possible from EE as EE do not sell the Xs on PAYG.   You can not purchase at full price from EE the Xs as these are only sold on contract. 

by vgenop Contributor
Contributor

However I did get the device from EE without contract, I'm not making stories, guys.

There is a receipt for that.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@vgenop did you also get a PAYG SIM card with the device that you would of at least paid £10 for ? 

by vgenop Contributor
Contributor

Exactly, I got the device and a payg sim

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@vgenop  If you got the device from EE and you paid full price and you got a SIM card with it I highly recommend you speak with customer service to get it unlocked.    You should get it unlocked for free as you e paid full price for it.  The issue I see is that you shouldn’t of been sold this device with out a contract as these are only available on contract.  But and it’s a big but,  you have paid for it and under EE T&Cs of unlocking a PAYG Phone they have to unlock it even if they  miss sold you this device in error.  You have every right to get it unlocked under the T&Cs of a payg customer.   

You'll need to use the device and set up an account for it so it’s registered on EE systems correctly.     

by vgenop Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @Chris_B. I'll speak with CS to sort this out. 

Do you mean to set up a new account from this device? Because I've already registered the payg number to an already existing account 😞 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@vgenop  Not sure if that will work but you’ll definitely need to use the device so it’s registered on EEs network with the sim that cane with the device. 

by vgenop Contributor
Contributor

Great! Thank you all for your time.

by
EE Community Team
Solution

Hi @vgenop,

Welcome to the community 🙂

You can unlock your pay as you go phone straight away free of charge.

If you are having difficulties completing the online form, give our customer care team a call and they will process it for you.

Alex

by vgenop Contributor
Contributor

Awesome! Thanks Alex!

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions