iPhone X
    Order now
x
by Tonyp99 Investigator
Investigator

New Pixel XL from EE pay and go - travelling to Australia

Hi there, 

Yesterday around 25 hours ago now I purchased a brand new Pixel XL phone at 690 pounds from EE on pay and go. I am travelling to Australia for around a month on Friday 17th and I will be buying an Australian pay and go sim for use while I am there. I travel a lot for work and I keep SIMs for countries I visit frequently for ease of working whilst within those countries. I have been working away for some time and returned to UK a few weeks ago. 

Since I purchased the phone outright at 690 GBP I am not expecting the phone to be locked as I fully own the phone and are not tied to EE in any way. I called EE just now to enquire regarding roaming charges and to advise of my intentions when arriving in Australia next week. I was deeply saddened to learn that the phone is infact locked and that EE are refusing to unlock this for me. Unfortunately I will be returning said phone to the EE shop I purchased it from yesterday, receiving a full refund and will head to another retailer to purchase the phone elsewhere. 

This is my very first experience with EE and I must say it's not a very good one due to company policy, however every one of your staff I have spoken to (both yesterday and again today over the phone) have provided me with A+ service. I am most impressed with how polite and helpful the entire store were yesterday and again on the phone a few moments ago. It's a shame that I have to return to the store to obtain a refund. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: New Pixel XL from EE pay and go - travelling to Australia

Hi @Tonyp99,

Welcome to the EE Community.

If you purchased your phone direct from EE on pay as you go, we will be able to unlock it for you.

Please get in touch with customer service and ask to speak to our unlocking team.

They'll make sure your account is registered and request the unlock for you.

Thanks

James

11 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Tonyp99   To my knowledge EE doesn't sell that device on PAYG.  Where did you get it from ?    

by Tonyp99 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Chris, thanks for your comment however it's neither here nor there whethere you're aware of EE's products or not as this does not provide any help to me or this thread whatsoever. 

If you're still interested in buying the pixel through  EE then all I can suggest to you is that you visit your local high st. Store tomorrow or give them a call. They are most friendly and helpful and I'm confident they will help you out based on my experience.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Tonyp99 "If your interested in purchasing the device from EE etc etc".   Who are you talking too ?     The thread only has 2  people making posts on it you and myself.   But your talking as though there are others and your offering advice to them. 

EE don't sell that device on payg it's only available on contract and under EE T&Cs. they will not unlock a contract device for 6 months starting from the date of purchase.  

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Tonyp99, looking at the shop, that particular phone is not a pay as you go phone, and since you got it in store, you will not be able to return it, you can only do so if you got it online. It appears that you have a monthly contract phone, otherwise whoever sold you this in the store mis-sold or mis-informed you and you could try and go into the store and discuss this and see what they have to say.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Tonyp99: It seems you have been mis-sold a contract device as PAYG & EE won't unlock contract devices until they are 6 months old.

You sure it was an EE store & not a CPW store?

It's no good berating @Chris_B just cuz you were mis-sold & did not read the paperwork that came with the phone.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by sariachan Investigator
Investigator

You can buy the Pixel on EE PAYG, I bought the exact same deal and its definitely PAYG. It's a deal only in store, if you top up £10 you get the phone at a discount, £690 for him and I got my 128GB XL for £790. I bought mine from Market Street in Manchester, that branch offers it.

by
Solution

Hi @Tonyp99,

Welcome to the EE Community.

If you purchased your phone direct from EE on pay as you go, we will be able to unlock it for you.

Please get in touch with customer service and ask to speak to our unlocking team.

They'll make sure your account is registered and request the unlock for you.

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Tonyp99: In that case you can just apply using the Unlocking your device form as the PAYG option and giving the mobile number that it has. Make sure you 1st register the device with EE by creating a MyEE a/c for it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by Tonyp99 Investigator
Investigator

The responses here were a tad concerning and it was clear no help was being provided. Apologies that I was simply unaware that there's a difference in products between the online shop and the physical store in the high st. I could see on my receipt that it said PAYAYG, and my conversations with the entire store regarding my intent to purchase a phone for use in Australia and the VAT form which the store signed for me (as I would not be returning to the UK with the phone). I mentioned in my original post that I had not been in the UK for some time. The "some time" element is in fact three years and when I was last in the UK I don't believe "EE" existed. 

I visited the store again today and received a full refund. I then went and purchased the phone from another store. The EE store did call up the unlocking people on my behalf after I explained what I was advised on the phone (shortly before posting here in a last-ditch effort for help before returning to the store). The EE sales representative discussed with them and the outcome was that they would infact unlock the phone for me but it would take up to 10 days. Given the responses here in this post (and other posts complaining regarding unlocking delays), and at the time it was not clear if the responses here were entirely from EE staff (or not) I decided to play it safe and receive the full refund. 

James_B: it's unfortunate that I was unable to get the help I needed at the time, else I would have waited for the unlocking code. I did not seek compensation for other expesnes (eg bank charges) at I really only wanted the phone to go away with as intended. Again, even though this hiccup happened, your EE staff are amazing and are a fine example of customer support. 

by

Hi @Tonyp99,

I'm very sorry that you didn't get the correct information, when you needed it, and that this led to you returning your purchase.

The Pixel is only available to purchase on pay as you go in our retail stores. This seems to have caused the misunderstanding in this thread and when you first called customer service.

It's great to hear that despite the issues you had, you were still given great service in store.

Thanks

James

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

As @James_B, says, we obviously did not know that it is available as pay as you go in retail stores, we all looked at the store online, which only shows it as available on contract, I and probably the others, who replied to you did not realize that it would be different in retail stores, but thought that it would be the same whether online or in a store, so sorry about the confusion, @Tonyp99.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.