by roymurdock Investigator
Investigator

Need Multi Mode (2303) Unlock

Hi, I have an iPhone SE that EE unlocked for me a year ago. Worked fine in the UK. Now trying to bring it onto CDMA network - Sprint - in the US. Apparently it is only partially unlocked on "Policy 10" for GSM networks.

How can I have EE do a "Multi Mode" 2303 unlock for CDMA networks too?

Thanks,

Roy

15 REPLIES 15
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Need Multi Mode (2303) Unlock

Where did you get this device originally? Did you buy it yourself new direct from EE or is it 2nd-hand? The unlocking process & costs are different. Was it on contract or PAYG? How old is it?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Thanks for the quick reply...

I bought it 2nd hand on UK ebay. I used it on PAYGO for a year and paid the 10-20quid (forget the exact amount) to unlock it after using it for about a year on PAYGO, which was successful. The phone itself was manufactured in 12/2017.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If EE unlocked your phone it would be completely unlocked. How did you apply for its unlocking?

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

I requested an unlock over email and I paid and they unlocked it for me in June 2018. But according to a recent IMEI lookup conducted by Sprint, it was only a partial "unlock 10" for GSM networks, not a "multi mode 2303" unlock for both GSM and CDMA. Hence why I'm wondering how to request a full "multi mode 2303" unlock.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @roymurdock,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

We don't offer an unlock service via email. Did you unlock your phone via a third party?

Thanks

James

Investigator

Hi James, I must have called or gone in store to request the unlock from EE because I got the following email from EE, paid the fee, and the phone was successfully unlocked. The phone shows up as unlocked for both Sprint and Apple when looking at the IMEI, but as I mentioned previously Sprint's tool showed the wrong unlock activation code 10 for GSM networks only instead of 2303 for multi mode.

Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 10.07.35 AM.png

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, that's pukka.

Investigator

Yep it's legit unlocked by EE, any idea how to request a multi mode 2303 unlock instead of activation code 10 GSMA unlock?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@roymurdock   A GSM Phone will never work on a CDMA network.   you need a CDMA phone.  

UK iPhones doesn’t support CDMA as there isn’t a CDMA network in the UK. Why do you think there is region based iPhones.  

Investigator

Thanks Chris, the iPhone in question is an iPhone SE model A1723 ("Global/Sprint") which supports both GSM and CDMA, and was specifically made to support the Sprint CDMA network in the US. See attached for specs.

The problem is that EE only unlocked the phone using activation "code 10" instead of using activation code "multi mode 2303". Both Sprint and Apple have confirmed the IMEI of the phone as eligible to be activated on the network, and Sprint has even activated the phone's SIM, but it cannot connect to the network due to the incorrect unlocking by EE, the phone is unlocked, but only for GSM networks.

What I need is for EE to tell Apple to change the unlock status of the device from a GSM code 10 unlock, the code they normally use to unlock phones because all carriers are GSM in the UK, to a multi mode GSM/CDMA 2303 unlock and it should work on Sprint. Any help would be great.

Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 2.29.29 PM.png

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Why would EE be unlocking a foreign phone that wasn't originally bought from them, let alone in the UK?

Investigator

The phone was initially sold by and locked to EE, and I bought it from the owner while living in London off ebay.co.uk.

This is the result of the IMEI lookup:

"The Initial activation policy is 302 UK T-Mobile Orange (EE) Policy.

The applied activation policy by EE right now is 10 Unlock.

However that is a GSM unlock, not a CDMA unlock."

This is what a Sprint rep told me to do:

"Have EE chat/call with Apple Technical Support.

Ask them to apply activation policy 2303 Multi Mode Unlock.

That is the CDMA and GSM unlocked activation policy."

Thanks,

Roy

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@roymurdock   I would speak with Apple as they control the unlocks of iPhones and they’ll be able to see it was unlocked from EE. 

Investigator

I've spoken with a few senior Apple techs this weekend. They said Apple will never unlock devices at the request of a device user. The request must come from the original carrier itself. Just as the Sprint tech said. Hence why I need an EE rep to ask them to do a multi mode 2303 unlock for this phone.

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @roymurdock

If you have requested the phone to be unlocked by us (from the screenshots you sent it looks like you have) the device would have been unlocked in accordance with our unlocking policy.

The phone was purchased as a UK phone, on a UK network, therefore unlocked accordingly.

Further unlocks are not possible, I'm afraid.

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions