by oligojke Investigator
Investigator

My phone was replaced by apple but is now locked to EE

Hello. My iphone 7 was replaced by apple recently, but it has come back locked.  The phone was bought new, sim free. I'm still with EE, and will be another 18 months but I use a different sim card abroad. How can I get this unlocked to use both sims? Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: My phone was replaced by apple but is now locked to EE

SIM-free iPhones lock to the 1st SIM activated.

You can't get an EE phone unlocked until it is 6 months old.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@oligojke   You say you have a different SIM card to use abroad did you ever use that SIM card in your old iPhone 7 ?  And where did you get your old iPhone 7 from ?  

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@XRaySpeX Full price iPhones purchased directly from Apple don't SIM lock at any point and will always remain unlocked.

It's only full-priced iPhones purchased from any other retailer (places like Carephone Warehouse or Argos for example) that SIM lock to the first SIM inserted.

@oligojke Where did you purchase your original iPhone from?

If it was from Apple, I suggest you go back to them and take with you and show them your original proof of purchase.  They shouldn't have SIM locked your replacement iPhone if you original was purchased directly from them.  They may be able to reverse the unlock for you.

If you purchased the iPhone from someone else, your only option is to unlock the replacement iPhone via EE.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Profile closed: I thought they didn't from Apple, but how come this particular "SIM-free" iPhone has locked to EE? Something doesn't compute!

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by oligojke Investigator
Investigator

Thanks everyone. No I didn't get it from Apple, all this is new information
for me - I won't get into why it seems pretty pointless, but I've had it
long enough to unlock it. Thanks
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, if you don't give us all the info, we can't get to the point, can we?

by oligojke Investigator
Investigator

I just said that I wasn't aware that phones were locked for six months -
and thanked you all ! There's no need to be rude!
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@oligojke  Devices can be unlocked after 6 months and at which point you can request it to be unlocked and it will cost you £8.99. If you wait till your minimum term it’s free to unlock the device.    

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Then I think you've left out a "not", which will make more sense.  

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @oligojke,

Welcome to the EE Community. Smiley Happy

You can find out more information in our unlocking guide.

Hope this helps.

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.