Highlighted
by helpmepleease Contributor
Contributor

My phone has been unlocked but new SIM not working [URGENT]

About a month ago I unlocked my Google Pixel 2 XL for going abroad to use data SIMs. I got a message from EE telling me my request for unlock had been approved on the 19th of January and Ihave seen the unlock fee on my monthly bill. I've had my contract for over 6 months (since May '18).

I literally just landed in Tokyo and picked up my SIM to find out that it's not recognised and that I need to contact EE to get my phone unlocked. What's going on here? It's caused me huge inconvenience and I can't get a refund for the new data sim. 

I really hope there's an easy solution to this, any help would be appreciated as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

Side note - when I was in the airport frantically trying to figure out why it wouldn't recognise the SIM I came across a page saying pixel phones automatically unlock after 721 days I think, can't see how this would affect anything as I've been charged for it and have received approval.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Solution

Re: My phone has been unlocked but new SIM not working [URGENT]

I completely forgot to update this thread but I'm glad to report that this issue has since been resolved. I had to eventually get the issue reescalated through customer support on Twitter and the phone eventually got unlocked after a few days. After factory resetting my phone twice as they recommended, it still didn't trigger the unlock and FINALLY the issue was treated as a failed unlock request and the unlock team had another go at unlocking my phone. 

To anyone else that gets this issue, if you got a text from EE saying your unlock request has been completed but you don't get a system notification also telling you you're device can now be used with other SIMs (see photo attached), then your phone HAS NOT BEEN UNLOCKED. Factory resetting your phone won't fix it, and using other SIM cards won't trigger it either. Don't waste your time just ask EE to unlock it again. And just to clarify, Pixel phones unlock automatically and it's dealt with behind the scenes. You don't get a code so dont bother searching through all your email folders for a non existent code. Hope no one else wastes as much time as I did with this.

Screenshot_20190207-193159.png

20 REPLIES 20
Contributor

My phone has been unlocked but new SIM not working

About a month ago I unlocked m kiy Google Pixel 2 XL for going abroad to use data SIMs. I got a message from EE telling me my request for unlock had been approved on the 19th of January and Ihave seen the unlock fee on my monthly bill. I've had my contract for over 6 months (since May '18).

I literally just landed in Tokyo and picked up my SIM to find out that it's not recognised and that I need to contact EE to get my phone unlocked. What's going on here? It's caused me huge inconvenience and I can't get a refund for the new data sim. 

I really hope there's an easy solution to this, any help would be appreciated as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

Side note - when I was in the airport frantically trying to figure out why it wouldn't recognise the SIM I came across a page saying pixel phones automatically unlock after 721 days I think, can't see how this would affect anything as I've been charged for it and have received approval.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You'll need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to discuss this with the Unlocking Team.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @helpmepleease.

Welcome to the community.

As @XRaySpeX has mentioned, our customer care team will be able to tell you the status of your unlock as they will be able to access your account.

Let us know how you get on.

Jon

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@helpmepleease  You did put the code in that EE sent you to unlock the device? 

Contributor

@Chris_B Honestly mate no, all I know is I filled out a form online and then I got a text sayin

"Hi from EE. Your unlocking request has been completed. Your device is now ready to accept a different network SIM. Don't forget, you can ask, answer, learn and share in the EE Community. Visit ee.co.uk/visitthecommunity today!"

I have received no text or email telling me to enter a code, I just presumed EE were dealing with it behind the scenes. I've also not received any instructions on how to enter this code you're talking about. Again this message was received on the 19th and it's been 10 days since then and I've not got anything sent to me about there being a delay getting the code or anything.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@helpmepleease  You need a code to unlock the device and EE should of sent you one,  it’s not done behind these scenes at EE its all done on the device.  You’ll need to contact customer services about this.   If you can not get hold of customer services perhaps @Alex_S can help you but this will be tomorrow now though.  

Contributor

@Chris_B Okay well at least it's good news that it's not an over complicated technical fault. Thanks for helping me clarify the situation Chris, I'm a bit silly for thinking that was it but also feel slightly misled due to the last SMS I recieved and that I never got a follow up SMS/Email regarding unlocking with the code or an update on any issues that were occuring with the unlock even after the 10 days possibly required to contact the manufacturer. 

Hopefully the code can get sent as soon as possible so the travel SIM doesn't go to waste. I'll try get in contact with the unlock team as soon as I can tomorrow. If Alex could help at all that would be greatly appreciated too. I'm gonna go back to being jet lagged, I'll update you on the situation tomorrow. Thanks for the speedy replies everyone.

by

Hi @Helpmeplease,

Welcome to the community 🙂

I'm sorry to here that your SIM isn't working as you expected it to. 

The text you have received from EE is a confirmation unlocking text, but as @Chris_B has advised, you should have received further information with that on an email with a code specifically for the handset you requested to be unlocked.

Are you able to check your email folders (junk/spam/ ect) for me and let me know if there is anything there from EE?

Our customer care team will be open from 8am today. They will be able to give you the account information you need.

Let me know how you get on with that,  and what amazing things you have done in Tokyo in the last 12 hours! 🙂

Alex

Contributor

@Alex_S @Chris_B So I'm reluctant to calling the customer services from Japan because I don't want any extra charges related to this issue. I got my dad to phone them from the UK and nothing has been resolved. They told him that there is no unlock code and instead EE just approves it and then contacts Google who then automatically unlock it, all they said is to ensure that the phone has a data connection. Which is of course a contrast to what's being said in this thread.

I'm not really sure where to go from here guys, Ive checked my emails (both inbox and spam) and haven't received anything from Google or EE about unlocking the phone.

Tokyo so far is pretty amazing thanks for asking :smileyhappy:. The food is enough to visit for alone, I've just been eating my weight in ramen...

by

Hi @helpmepleease,

If you have internet access at the moment, you can contact our chat team who will be able to give you more information about your account.

You can start a chat via your My EE account or if you select 'EE' from the get in touch page.

I'm so jealous of you right now. I'm sat in sunny Newcastle surrounded by snow. And now all I want is noodles 🙂

Alex

Contributor

Screenshot_20190202-195346.png

Screenshot_20190202-195558.png

@Chris_B @Alex_S

It's been more than 10 days so I don't understand even if they did have to contact Google why haven't I received any text telling me this was the case. My girlfriend is here with me in Japan and managed to unlock her iphone with a different carrier within 48 hours, using a code like you guys have mentioned.

by

Hi @helpmepleease

I have sent you a private message to get some personal information from you regarding your unlocking

Alex

Contributor

@Alex_S Whoever my dad was on to at the unlock team confirmed with his colleague that Google Pixel phones don't need an unlock code to unlock the phone. So I'm afraid this is back to an overcomplicated technical issue.

Contributor

@Alex_S Sorry for the spam, but the guy on the phone also mentioned that the unlock is best triggered using a UK based SIM. Unfortunately I've tried my girlfriend's Vodafone SIM and both of the Japanese data SIMS and still I get the same notification saying the Sims aren't supported cause the phone isn't unlocked. Also both of the data SIMs work, I've tried them on my girlfriend's unlocked iPhone.

by

Hi @helpmepleease,

You would need an alternative UK SIM to activate the unlock your phone before you put the international SIM into it.

The Vodaphone UK SIM card should be fine to use to complete the unlock

Alex

Contributor

@Alex_S I have tried using my girlfriend's UK based Vodafone SIM and it's saying it's not supported. 

Luckily she's here with me because I find that to be a strange protocol as I would imagine most people would unlock their phones to use international SIMs. 

Even though it is a different carrier and phone I can't understand how she managed to use the Japanese data SIM immidately instead of triggering the unlock with a UK SIM.

by

Hi @helpmepleease

I'm not sure on Vodafone's process. It would also depend on what handset your girlfriend has to which unlocking process is set out as this is partly done by the manufacturer.

Our customer service team will be able to give you all of the details relating to your account though 🙂

Once you have spoken to them, come back and let us know how you got on.

Alex

Contributor
Solution

I completely forgot to update this thread but I'm glad to report that this issue has since been resolved. I had to eventually get the issue reescalated through customer support on Twitter and the phone eventually got unlocked after a few days. After factory resetting my phone twice as they recommended, it still didn't trigger the unlock and FINALLY the issue was treated as a failed unlock request and the unlock team had another go at unlocking my phone. 

To anyone else that gets this issue, if you got a text from EE saying your unlock request has been completed but you don't get a system notification also telling you you're device can now be used with other SIMs (see photo attached), then your phone HAS NOT BEEN UNLOCKED. Factory resetting your phone won't fix it, and using other SIM cards won't trigger it either. Don't waste your time just ask EE to unlock it again. And just to clarify, Pixel phones unlock automatically and it's dealt with behind the scenes. You don't get a code so dont bother searching through all your email folders for a non existent code. Hope no one else wastes as much time as I did with this.

Screenshot_20190207-193159.png

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.