by jbrazier Investigator
Investigator

Moved Back to AUS. Trying to unlock my phone. Filled online form 3 times

Hi, just moved back home after 2 years in the UK. I have an iphone locked to ee.

I have an ee my account online, which i used to fill out the online unlocking form 3 or 4 times. Each time i recieve a text 5 or 6 days later saying they are unable to complete my request due to my account not being registered properly.  I have since found out there is a difference between having your phone linked on your my EE account it it actually being 'registered' (tell me if I am wrong)

SO, my question is without calling EE (tried that, cost me like 3 quid/minute) how can I register my phone so I can finally get this sorted out after a month of frustration? Any help appreciated. My girlfriend is still in the UK, could she perhaps call and do it for me? Thanks in advance

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Moved Back to AUS. Trying to unlock my phone. Filled online form 3 times

Ah, there's the difference. You may have registered the phone to your MyEE a/c, but a 2nd hand phone was not originally registered to you. In this case you cannot use the online unlocking form.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. Use the landlines numbers in my sig. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Did you buy this phone new direct from EE?

You could phone EE for free over Skype using the Freephone no. in my sig.

I did think that having your phone registered to a MyEE a/c was the same as it being registered.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by jbrazier Investigator
Investigator

Hi mate,

No, a friend gave it to me about 6 months ago. He had previously had it on a monthly plan but I have since been using it on payg. 

I thought so too but my girlfriend called and apparently there is a difference (no idea) 

when I was speaking to the gentleman earlier he said he could help me do that over the phone but as I said the call costs were too much. If that had been successful, I then could have filled out the online form and things would have been a ok. Very frustrating situation for such a simple task. 

Thanks mate, I may give that a go if I can't resolve things soon. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Ah, there's the difference. You may have registered the phone to your MyEE a/c, but a 2nd hand phone was not originally registered to you. In this case you cannot use the online unlocking form.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. Use the landlines numbers in my sig. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @jbrazier,

Welcome to the EE Community.

If you are not the original owner of the phone, it won't be linked to your account and you will need to call customer service to request the unlock.

As @XRaySpeX said, you should be able to call using Skype.

Thanks

James

by jbrazier Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for your help fellas, appreciate it. Will give the Skype number a call and see how I go. I am still in the touch with the guy who passed it on to me. It definitely wasn't stolen etc so surely there shouldn't be any issues? 

by
EE Community Support Team

No problem @jbrazier

You shouldn't have any problems, the customer service team will transfer you straight through to our unlocking team.

- James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.