by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Leaving EE

If I decide to payoff my contract early so can migrate to another provider, must I then still pay on top of that the fee to get my phone unlocked, or will this be free as the contract has been paid off

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor
Solution

Re: Leaving EE

@Christopher_G finally done after having to contact EE again to find out what was happening. The unlocking team re-checked as it stated had been done but no update had been received on phone, and it finally came through around 11:30am. Credit to the guy on the unlocking team, he rang me back to confirm that google advised it was completed.

21 REPLIES 21
by Grand Master
Grand Master

by
EE Employee

Hi @mirdragon and welcome to the community.

@Chris_B is indeed correct on this one 🙂

Cheers

Lee

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Chris_B wrote:

@mirdragon  It will be free. 

Thanks - apologies for delay in responding been busy

by
EE Community Support Team

Have a nice weekend @mirdragon

Cheers

Richard

🙂

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Never known it to be so awkward to leave a provider...

Called EE and got told one price for leaving, which I accepted, put me through to get phone unlocked and got cut-off.

I called back and got through to someone else who gave me another price, saying the first price was wrong and he put me through to get unlocked only to be disconnected again.

3rd time called and someone says I have to pay to unlock the phone even though I have requested my PAC so I can move, I can't pay the account off as you need to check what was originally said about the price, before you let me pay the contract off.

I want to pay of the contract, unlock my phone and move my number and phone to another network. I don't see why I should have to pay for it to be unlocked...

Abosolute joke...

by

Hi @mirdragon,

I'm sorry to hear this hasn't gone smoothly.

Is someone from our disconnections team going to get in touch with you once they have followed this up for you?

Thanks

James

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@James_B

Been told my one guy he will ring tomorrow but can take upto 48 hours to listen to original call, and will honour the price (seems he gave me early upgrade price not cancellation price which is more)

This guy was helpful, but when rang back after being disconnected the person was adamant I had to pay the £8.99 as I'm giving 30 days notice to move.

I am actually hoping to switch at weekend and thus reason need the phone unlocked and the contract paid up, so can put no sim card in.

Regards

Mirdragon

by

Hi @mirdragon,

Thanks for getting back to me, please give us an update after your call back and let us know if you need any help.

James

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@James_B - the agent who promised to call me back, called me today and advised that as the original person was new that call recording hadn't been setup but they will honour the price I was told by that guy £352.30. 

While he was trying to sort out the unlocking (i needed phone unlocked to be able to use an activate sim from new provider) I was picked up by someone else who advises that agent had sorted this out and requested the unlocking code, but this will take around 10 days.

After the call (30 minutes today, so overall its taken 71 minutes in calls to get to this stage), the original agent had left me a voice mail advising will ring me back later due to being lost in system.

Should I get a confirmation that a request has been made for the unlock code?

Is it possible to get this earlier than in 10 days (hoping to switch on Saturday to new provider)?

And how do I pay the cancellation fee and no-one seems to have taken any payment for that yet?

by

Hi @mirdragon,

I'm sorry this has taken up so much of your time, but it looks like it's all been taken care of now.

If you weren't asked to pay with credit or debit card, the fee will be added to your final bill.

Unlocking can take up to 10 days, but it's often a lot quicker. Once your unlock is complete, we'll let you know via email or text.

Thanks for being so patient with this.

James

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@James_B never got the call back from the chap who said he would call back, so how do i know for definite that the request for the unlock code has been submitted without me having to waste more time calling up about it.

Surely EE should send out a text message stating they have received the request and it will take upto 10 days, just like they send a text when you request a PAC for moving.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@James_B also found this, which is interesting

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7107188?hl=en-GB

Does this mean if I pay my contract up, then the phone should automatically be unlocked?

by

Hi @mirdragon

The Google Pixel phones are SIM locked for 24 months. This is set within the Google systems.

Once the 24 months has expired, you get a notification on your phone to tell you that it is free to use on another network.

As you are cancelling your contract early, it wouldn't happen automatically as Google wouldn't know that you have ended your EE contract and the SIM lock period would still be set to 24 months.

That is why the unlocking team have sent the request for it to be unlocked.

Hope this answers your question and I hope it's all done soon for you.

I'm sorry to read that you didn't get the call back that was promised. If you would like to double check that the request was put through, please give the customer service team another call.

Chris

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Christopher_G - I don't know if the request has actually gone through, as I got told my one agent that the previous agent (who was to ring me back) had put the request through, but I've received no notification that this request has been made.

I wasted 40 minutes the other evening trying to get stuff sorted due to the number of disconnections when ringing you and being passed from one department to another.

I was then called back originally yesterday morning and that call took 30 minutes with most of it being on hold and wasted my lunch period.

This is always the same when you ring EE you are messed about so much, you loose the will to live some days because of the hassle it is to get some sort of answers and resolution.

Also if it takes longer for me to switch due to length of time it takes to get the code (i've seen on this forum it has been taking some customers weeks to get the code instead of within the 10 working days), i hope EE will also reduce the cancellation fees based on my original price and advised and not on the higher price.

by

Although I would love to give you some more information about your request, we don't have access to your account here, @mirdragon.

Please contact the customer service team again if you would like to check the status.

I understand that you're unhappy with the service offered, if you would like to make a complain, you can find information on how to do so on our ways to complain help and support page.

Thanks

Chris

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Christopher_G managed to speak to someone who has confirmed they have received the unlock request and hopefully it should be done within 48-72 hours

by

Thanks for the update @mirdragon.

Please keep us posted on what happens.

Chris

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

well I never received the email from the support staff from darlington who promised to send me an email confirming you had received the unlock request and this was passed to Google who will provide unlock within 48-72 hours.

So how do I know that the phone will be unlocked tomorrow based on the verbal information provided by support, also according to the information on the Google product forums it is EE that unlock the device and once you have done that I will then receive an update to allow my phone to be used on any network.

Based on the information provided by EE CS and not receiving the email confirming our discussion yesterday, can I actually trust the information provided by EE.......

by

Hi @mirdragon

Please contact the customer service team again if you would like to check that the unlock request was processed.

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.