by london1345 Investigator
Investigator

Is EE insurance cover linked to the device, or to the sim?

Wasn't sure which forum to post this in, but I hope someone can help.

Basically... I have two EE contract phones, both with Full Cover insurance. One (Phone A) is brand new and I'm going to start using it, the other (Phone B, my current phone) I'm going to give to a relative. The relative doesn't need insurance on Phone B.

So ... I'll be moving my sim card from Phone B into Phone A - and I want to keep Phone A insured. So which of the two insurance plans do I cancel? I've confused myself....

In short, are Fully Loaded insurance plans linked to the device itself, or to the sim card?

Any help very much appreciated! thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

Re: Is EE insurance cover linked to the device, or to the sim?

Hello @london1345 you may be able to swap the phones about on the policies to match the SIM cards they are using. For example registering phone A against your second policy (policy B) so it can be used with SIM B. You can then cancel policy A (linked to SIM A) if you no longer need insurance on phone B you are giving away, or register a new separate phone against policy A if you plan on using SIM A in another phone.

You can check if you can change the phones registered by calling customer service on 150 from your EE phone or 07953 966 250 from any other who can access the account and check all the relevant details for you. If you are a personal pay monthly customer on an EE plan you can also log in to MYEE online and click the popup box when available to speak to live chat. 🙂
5 REPLIES 5
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @london1345 your insurance policy is linked to the SIM and the phone. If the phone that has been registered against your insurance policy (with the IMEI number) does not have the EE SIM card in it at the time of the loss/theft you may not be covered. 🙂
Investigator

Hi Tom222 - thanks for replying so fast, much appreciated!

Tricky. So does that mean the only way I can have my new phone/old sim combination insured is with a brand new insurance policy, presumably from a third-party insurer?

In other words, I have to cancel both my existing EE insurance policies and start over?

by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

Hello @london1345 you may be able to swap the phones about on the policies to match the SIM cards they are using. For example registering phone A against your second policy (policy B) so it can be used with SIM B. You can then cancel policy A (linked to SIM A) if you no longer need insurance on phone B you are giving away, or register a new separate phone against policy A if you plan on using SIM A in another phone.

You can check if you can change the phones registered by calling customer service on 150 from your EE phone or 07953 966 250 from any other who can access the account and check all the relevant details for you. If you are a personal pay monthly customer on an EE plan you can also log in to MYEE online and click the popup box when available to speak to live chat. 🙂
Investigator

Understood, many thanks again Tom - really appreciate it!

by Profile closed
Not applicable

You are welcome @london1345 come back to the community anytime if there is anything else you would like to know. 🙂
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.