by FRehman89
Explorer

I was told when I upgraded my phone was unlocked but it's not. Why?!

I upgraded my phone around April time this year  When speaking to an EE customer service representative,  I specifically asked the question: "will the phone be unlocked to any network? I travel abroad a lot mostly for work purposes so I'll need to use local sims". I was told yes it will be unlocked but once I arrived in Morocco to my horror I realised it's not! 

I only found out when I purchased a sim from the airport and tried it but my phone asked for an unlocking code. I needed to call my transport driver who was picking me up as my flight was delayed by almost 2 hours but I couldn't get in touch with him! 

I was left no choice but to use my own EE sim abroad. 2 mins 40 secs cost me around £4.50! So unfair I feel like I've been let down massively by EE. 

I checked online and I'm told I have to wait till my phone is 6 months old then I have to pay a fee to get it unlocked and this could take a few days to unlock!! I'm fuming! I literally can't use my phone at all unless I have WiFi. I could have used a local sim, topped it up and used it while on the go but now I can't. Nobody can get in touch with me by phone so I'm going to go today and purchase a small simple phone for calls. Extra expense!!

Has anyone else had a similar experience like this?! I'm so disappointed with EE! 

9 REPLIES 9
by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Re: I was told when I upgraded my phone was unlocked but it's not. Why?!

@FRehman89 all phone purchased directly from any network are locked to network for 6 months. You were given wrong information. After 6 months you can pay a small fee to have phone unlocked to any network. 

by FRehman89
Explorer

Yes now I know this but before I had no idea. I was specifically told it's unlocked! Wrong information which has negatively impacted on me and lost me money. That's not fair at all. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You have been misinformed. You could make a formal complaint to EE & if you don't get satisfaction after 8 weeks you can take it to EE's ADR provider. See Complaints code of practice and here is the Complaints Form at the foot of the page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@XRaySpeX  After 8 weeks lol. Might as well request the unlock and get it done in under 10 days.   Unfortunately not being privy to the actual conversation we don’t know what was actually said about the device being unlocked after 6 months and if that was explanation was understood in the way it was explained even if was explained correctly or not. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @FRehman89

Welcome to the community, I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

I see you have been correctly advised on this thread that any phones purchased from EE are locked to the network and can be unlocked after 6 months.

If you have been advised differently by an EE representative, I recommend getting in touch with customer services to discuss this further.

Please let us know what happens.

Chris

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Chris_B: My suggestion is purely about complaining about being misled & maybe getting some compensation for the extra expense, not about getting it unlocked now. We do not need to be privy to the conversations to make a suggestion of complaining & let the OP, who is privy, make up their own mind whether to follow it up.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@XRaySpeX  My reply basically was, how was it explained and was that explanation understood and not being privy to that explanation we don’t know how it was explained.  saying that they can make a complaint when in fact you don’t know how it was explained is jumping the gun.    Saying the device will be unlocked after 6 months is correct it’s not implying it will be done automatically after six months.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Chris_B: The OP is best placed to decide whether to take up my suggestion. All I've done is draw his attention to it. He has nowt to lose. Frankly I don't care what was said & how it was interpreted. The complaints procedure is still there in any case.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@XRaySpeX  That is true the complaint process is still there but making a complaint and not understanding how a device is unlocked via a request even if you’ve been told it will be unlocked after 6 months doesn’t mean you’ve been misinformed.  

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.