by Jhammy Investigator
Investigator

I have bought an old Ericsson T20s locked to Orange. The phone came with no sim

The IMEI doesn't appear to be on the back of the phone and I can't access the phone fully because it asks for the correct (orange) sim or do I want a demo.

Will an EE sim help here or will I need to buy an Orange sim from Ebay and try that route?

Thanks

PS: The previous owner says it never got used and, judging by the condition, seems about right.

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: I have bought an old Ericsson T20s locked to Orange. The phone came with no

You could try an EE SIM but it is unlikely to work. You could get an Orange SIM off eBay but it could well be out-of-date. Anyway Orange is ending about now & being transferred to EE 3G.

You could try getting the IMEI by dialling *#06# on the keypad.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Jhammy Investigator
Investigator

Update:

It appears I do have the IMEI, it was what was underneath the battery.

It's just that I called EE earlier this evening and the agent didn't feel it was the IMEI.  It has the format of 6 digits, a dash, 2 digits, a dash, 6 digits, dash, then 1 digit. 

nnnnnn-nn-nnnnnn-n

So, as above, will an Orange sim from Ebay help and is this format right for an IMEI?

Thank you

by Jhammy Investigator
Investigator

Thanks,

the agent said an EE sim wouldn't work.

The Ebay seller states that EE may or may not accept old Orange connections.  I guess I just need to know that if I buy a sim then it'll be fine for EE (or whoever) to unlock.

Thanks again

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You don't need a SIM to get it unlocked. I thought you just wanted to use it on EE.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

No IMEI is 15 digits. Use *#06# .

by Jhammy Investigator
Investigator

You don't need a SIM to get it unlocked. I thought you just wanted to use it on EE.

Sorry, should have been clearer.  I want to continue using GiffGaff

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team...

I did that tonight and the agent said he didn't recognise the format (apparently it doesn't conform to current standards?)  There's 15 digits, just not in the current 'AA-BBBBBB-CCCCCC-D' format (mine is nnnnnn-nn-nnnnnn-n).

I'll give them a call tomorrow morning.

Thanks

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.