by MeboMechanicNo1 Investigator
Investigator

I can find no answer to this

Until 2 years ago I was an EE customer (and before that I was a T-Mobile customer, and before that I was a 1-2-1 customer and before that a Mercury Communications customer). Two years ago my business was taken over and I was given a works phone, into which I transferred my number, and my EE contract was bought out and cancelled by my new employer.  I now have a couple of elderly but very servicable phones which I bought outright in the days when I had more monney than sense, and I would like to get a PAYG sim for one of them (but not necessarily from EE). I have tried to contact someone to get one of them unblocked - or simply to ask if they need to be unblocked, but unless you are actually an existing EE customer who is in a position to dial in an existing EE number, it is totally impossible to get past the "Please enter your number and dial hash" part of the message. (I am very impressed by the way I have been keeping my temper and explaining this ever so patiently). I am not really inclined (i) to sign up to another 24 months or (ii) buy an EE sim which will definitely lock my phone into EE if by some chance a previous block has time expired, or (iii) take the day off work to travel miles to my nearest EE shop simply to ask them the above question. Does anyone out there know either (a) is a phone that was previously used with a sim whose number has now been released (to O2) now free to be used on another service or (b) how to ask EE the above simple question.

My thanks in anticipation.

12 REPLIES 12
Investigator

How do I speak to a human about an issue not covered in the EE list

Until 2 years ago I was an EE customer (and before that I was a T-Mobile customer, and before that I was a 1-2-1 customer and before that a Mercury Communications customer). Two years ago my business was taken over and I was given a works phone, into which I transferred my number, and my EE contract was bought out and cancelled by my new employer.  I now have a couple of elderly but very servicable phones which I bought outright in the days when I had more monney than sense, and I would like to get a PAYG sim for one of them (but not necessarily from EE). I have tried to contact someone to get one of them unblocked - or simply to ask if they need to be unblocked, but unless you are actually an existing EE customer who is in a position to dial in an existing EE number, it is totally impossible to get past the "Please enter your number and dial hash" part of the message. (I am very impressed by the way I have been keeping my temper and explaining this ever so patiently). I am not really inclined (i) to sign up to another 24 months or (ii) buy an EE sim which will definitely lock my phone into EE if by some chance a previous block has time expired, or (iii) take the day off work to travel miles to my nearest EE shop simply to ask them the above question. Does anyone out there know either (a) is a phone that was previously used with a sim whose number has now been released (to O2) now free to be used on another service or (b) how to ask EE the above simple question.

My thanks in anticipation.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: How do I speak to a human about an issue not covered in the EE list

Hi,

There is a large detailed thread at the top of this forum which explains how you unlock phones here.

Depending on the phones I would also consider third party unlocking services as you only really need to go via the carrier for iphones.

Thanks,

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Investigator

Thank you very much. I did start my investigations where you pointed, (a) which is why I now know that it is impossible to get past the computer which says "please enter your mobile number followed by the hash key", and (b) the phones I want to unlock (i) were not bought from EE and (ii) were not bought second hand but bought direct from Apple and Samsung respectively. (Therefore do not fall into the categories listed).

by
EE Employee

Hi @MeboMechanicNo1 and welcome to the community.

Were the devices bought outright or as part of contracts?

Many thanks,

Lee

Highlighted
Investigator

As previously indicated they "were not bought from EE and (ii) were not bought second hand but bought direct from Apple and Samsung respectively."

And I suppose I should add for avoidance of any doubt No, they were not bought as part of a package.

by
EE Employee

Hi @MeboMechanicNo1

If they have been bought as SIM free, the devices will already be unlocked.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Thanks, this is a question I needed answered, because my understanding was that using a SIM in a phone automatically locked that phone to that SIM's network

by
EE Employee

Hi @MeboMechanicNo1

We would not hold the details for SIM free devices, it may be better for yourself to contact the manufacturer who will be able to confirm if a SIM lock is on the device.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

I am NOT going through all of this again (a) with Apple and (b) with Samsung; but since you seem to be in the know, is it actually the case that using a SIM in a phone that has been bought direct locks that phone into the SIM's network, or is that not true?

by
EE Employee

Hi @MeboMechanicNo1

If the device has been bought SIM free and purchased outright from the manufacturer the devices would be able to be used with various network SIM cards.

@BrendonH has recently purchased a S8 from Samsung and @Profile closed has purchased an iPhone7 and both use various SIM cards.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

I bought my S8+ direct from Samsung.

This is not locked to Three (my current network) which was the first SIM inserted.

The only time a phone locks to the first SIM inserted is when bought from places like Carphone Warehouse.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10 Beta)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by
EE Employee

Thank you @BrendonH for the information 🙂

Cheers

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions