by Jimmyjimjim Investigator
Investigator

How to unlock...

A very old phone.

First of all, sorry for yet another 'how do I unlock' thread.

This one is possibly a bit more entertaining than most, so please bear with me.

First of all - it's an Orange phone, so by definition, it's both a bit more complicated than the usual question, and also a bit, well, long in the tooth.

It's an SPV C500.

Try not to laugh too long.  

Ok, all done?   Good.   Try to hold it in for the next bit, too:

It dates back to 2004/2005 which was when it was bought by, wait for it...my company.   So a 14 year old company provided cell phone.

Said company doesn't exist in the same form it did then - and I'm no longer with them, either.

Better yet, I'm now based in the US 😄

Oh, and I forgot to mention - the battery is kaput, too.   And I don't know where the charger is, either...

So, my question is 'is it possible to unlock this phone?'   If so, I might splurge the $10 for a new battery and try to dig out the charger (which I think is mini usb?).

Why?

Just to see quite how bad a cell phone of that age is.   I know it can make and receive calls (well, it could 14 years ago), it might be handy as a spare...

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: How to unlock...

Good Morning @Jimmyjimjim.

Welcome to the community 🙂 

This was certainly an interesting read, I hope you manage to find a new battery for the phone!

@Chris_B and @XRaySpeX have provided the best solution, our customer service team will be able to look into this, as long as you have the IMEI, an email address, and a UK bank card for the £8.99 payment.

Come back and let us know how you get on with this.

Jon

15 REPLIES 15
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jimmyjimjim  If the device was on a company business contract then only the company can request the device to be unlocked. 

Investigator

And if that company is no longer around?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jimmyjimjim  You could try calling EE customer services on +44 (0) 7953 966 250.  You’ll be charged £8.99 if it is possible.  

Investigator

I'll only have the IMEI, without being able to power up the phone.   Will that be sufficient information?

Remember - US based, rather not have to make an international call if I'm going to get told to provide more information.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jimmyjimjim  they only need a IMEI number and email address. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

& a UK bank card. Call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
Solution

Good Morning @Jimmyjimjim.

Welcome to the community 🙂 

This was certainly an interesting read, I hope you manage to find a new battery for the phone!

@Chris_B and @XRaySpeX have provided the best solution, our customer service team will be able to look into this, as long as you have the IMEI, an email address, and a UK bank card for the £8.99 payment.

Come back and let us know how you get on with this.

Jon

Investigator

I forgot to mention that I've already had one order for a replacement battery cancelled on my as it turned out that they had no stock...

by

Hi @Jimmyjimjim.

Where did you order the battery from?

I hope you manage to get one from somewhere 🙂

Jon

Investigator

http://www.emtcompany.com/

That was back in March....as you might gather this isn't really a high priority task for me 😄

I've not got a valid UK bank card any more, so yet again, I might be falling at the first hurdle.   I'll give them a call and see what they think; if it looks like they can, I'll talk one of the family into calling up again and paying.

by

Keep us updated with how you get on @Jimmyjimjim 🙂

Investigator

Well, we're at 24 minutes on the call so far, I think I might have baffled everyone.

Investigator

Ooooh, looking promising....

Investigator

And it was free.

Took them quite some time to track down the unlock codes, but we appear to be there now.   Hurrah!

incidentally, and not entirely unexpectedly, itwas the oldest phone they'd unlocked, first registered in November 2004....

Off to find a battery online and give it a go.

by

Glad you're getting there, @Jimmyjimjim 🙂

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.