by starsky101 Contributor
Contributor

How to unlock previous phone

I've recently upgraded my iPhone 6 to a 7. I'm using the 7 with the same number as the 6 was on having only upgraded the sim via T-Mobile - EE. I have wiped the 6 and wish to sell it. I believe the 6 will be still locked to the EE -T-Mobile network I was on so wish to unlock it to maximise chances of a sale. Do I just use the online form from EE I'm now on EE proper with the 7? I was (and still am) a monthly subscriber.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: How to unlock previous phone

@starsky101  Yes use the online request form.  Make sure you put the correct IMEI number and you do put your phone number that was used in the device.    

When you say you have wiped the device to sell it, I have to ask have you removed the device from your Apple iCloud account?  If not then when you sell it no one will be able to use it as it will still be locked to your account. 

HAVE A READ OF THIS

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@starsky101  Yes use the online request form.  Make sure you put the correct IMEI number and you do put your phone number that was used in the device.    

When you say you have wiped the device to sell it, I have to ask have you removed the device from your Apple iCloud account?  If not then when you sell it no one will be able to use it as it will still be locked to your account. 

HAVE A READ OF THIS

Contributor

Very helpful thank you, the phone number that was used for the device, is the same one I'm usingnow, I take it this is ok?

I used the standard reset device routine when "wiping" the phone. I'm using the new Iphone 7 with the same account, so assumed it has moved over. I kept getting messages on the new device to say I was now registered with the new device, but will check, a very good point. Thank you.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@starsky101  Yes you use the same number as this is the number that's is your account.  

Contributor

Ok so now I have received a text from the unlock team with a link to www.ee.co.uk/appleunlock which I'm supposed to navigate to, to "complete the unlock of your apple device" When I do this it basically talks about wiping my phone, which I've already done. The text didn't actually say my phone was unlocked, but I assume it is and I can now sell it as such?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@starsky101  To confirm it's unlocked just put a O2 or Vodaphone SIM card in the device.  

It doesn't matter  if you can borrow a SIM card from a friend to test this.    I would recommend doing this as a precaution just to make sure that it is,  if you advertise it as unlocked it actually has to unlocked. 

Contributor

Ok, so it won't lock to the borrowed sim network, as long as I don't go throught he full activation process I presume. In other words we're just checking that I don't get the "the sim card inserted does not appear to be supported" message?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@starsky101    Once a device is unlocked it will work on any network even if you set that device up it'll still work if you put another network Sim card in that device, it is a permanently unlocked device for any network at any time and will not lock to another network ever. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.