by
EE Community Support Team

How to unlock a second-hand phone or device locked to EE

If you have purchased or been gifted a second hand phone that's locked to EE, unlocking it is quick and easy.

From 01 August 2017 any Apple device which was purchased directly from EE on or after 1 September 2015 will be unlocked automatically once the device reaches 18 months old.

This means you may not need to request your device to be unlocked if the Apple device was purchased on or after 1 September 2015.

You can now check the lock status of your EE Apple device here or by texting UNLOCK to 150, using an EE SIM card.

It will cost £8.99 to unlock the device and you’ll need to call us on 0800 956 6000 to request this. Requests for unlocking second hand devices cannot be made via the online form.

You will need:

• IMEI number of the phone or device (you can enter *#06# on the device to get this)

• Contact number

• Contact email address

• UK credit or debit card to make the payment

You cannot unlock a device purchased or upgraded through a contract that is less than 6 months old.

The IMEI must not be blacklisted  - if you discover that the device you have purchased has been blacklisted, your best course of action is to contact who or where you bought it from.

Devices that have been blacklisted have generally been reported as lost or stolen.

Useful Links

How to unlock your pay monthly phone or device >

How to unlock a pay as you go phone or device >

If you have any further questions, let us know below.

20 REPLIES 20
by xmobile

Re: How to unlock a second-hand phone or device locked to EE

imei : *******************

Email : ******************

debit card Visa : *********************

[mod edit: please don't post personal details on the forum]

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@xmobile  This is a public forum do not post any of your details. 

by

Hi @xmobile,

Welcome to the EE Community. Smiley Happy

I'm afraid we can't unlock your phone via the community.

Is it a second hand EE device you are trying to unlock?

If it is, please get in touch with customer services.

Thanks

James

by aldoff
Visitor

I want to unlock this phone and then take my time about deciding if to go with EE. I cannot get through to customer service from  my landline (08000798586) because the voicemail dragon wants my ee- phone number which I don't have, I dont have an ee sim 

Is there a method of getting to  a real person ?

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hello @aldoff the number is 0800 956 6000 options 2, 4.

by

Morning @aldoff

Welcome to the community.

I can see you have had some advice from @tm90

Let us know if you have any other queries Smiley Happy

by richardmircea Investigator
Investigator

Hello, I bought a second hand google pixel locked on the ee network. I don't know how the original owner came in possession of the phone but I would like to unlock it.I'm not in the UK and I don't know much about this network so if you could please help me I would appreciate it.Thank you.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@richardmircea  You will need to call EE customer services to request the device to be unlocked,  it will cost you £8.99 payable via a UK credit/debt card and it will take up to 10 days to process.

you can call customer services on 447953 966 250

Investigator

Thank you for your reply. The problem is I am not from the UK and I am not currently in the UK therefore I do not have a UK credit card (but I have a VISA card) and I cannot call that number from my network. Is there any other way we cand do this ? Because I cannot use my phone otherwise. Maybe via email or somehow. Thank you.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@richardmircea  Sorry there is no email address you can use.   You have to call and that’s your only option.  

Purchasing a device that’s locked to another countries network will always have issues and it’s the reason you do not do this.  

Investigator

OK, thank you for your help.

by Sophiecook1

Hi,

i am considering perchasing an iphone 8, second hand, which is locked to EE. i was just wondering if i would need to visit my local EE shop to get it unlocked? do i only need to phone up customer services and it they will unlock it? also if i need to go to a shop, how long will it take to unlock?

Thanks, 

Sophie.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Sophiecook1  EE will only unlock a contract device once it has reached 6 months from the time of purchase by the original owner.     So if the device is over 6 months old EE will unlock it if it was someone’s contract device,  if the device was a PAYG device EE will unlock it straight the way.   You’ll need to ask the  original owner if it was a contract device and how long they had this device for. 

If it’s over the 6 month time frame you’ll need to call customer services to request the unlock and it will cost you £8.99 Payable via a UK credit or debit card and it will take up to 10 days to process but it is usually done in 72 hours

by

Hi @Sophiecook1

Welcome to the community. Smiley Happy

I see @Chris_B has given you a brilliantly detailed answer.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Chris

by DomenicoV Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

If I unlock my Mediapad T3 (second hand) will I be able to make and receive phone calls? or the phone functionality will still be disabled?

Thanks

by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome to the community @DomenicoV

If the device is unlocked this only allows you to use a different network SIM for data connectivity only.

Hope this helps,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@James_B: The link to Customer Care does not give any contact no. for non-EE custs. which many 2nd hand device owners will be. Can this be altered to give the no. explicitly as +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by

Hi @XRaySpeX,

Thanks for your suggestion. The 0800 number is mentioned on the get in touch page but I'll see if we can make it easier to find.

Have a great weekend. Smiley Happy

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@James_B: Yes, I saw the 0800 no. but it is only addressed at having recently left EE or having an EE account which is not currently active, not if you've never been with EE..

I also suggest the +44 prefix as many of these 2nd-hand devices are bought overseas.

You too Smiley Happy.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.