by P_Mc Investigator
Investigator

How do I register correctly to request an unlock for an EE payg phone, please?

Hi,

I  recently received a text from EE saying that they were unable to to unlock my pay as you go  phone because my account I'd not correctly registered.

I have registered with My EE, but I haven't registered card details yet to be used for when the next top up is due.

When I request the unlock, will it be free of charge for pay as you go customers? Or will I have to pay £8.99?

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Is It New or Is it Second-hand?

Did you buy this device yourself new direct from EE or is it 2nd-hand? The process & costs are different.

If it is 2nd-hand, you can't just register a PAYG SIM you just bought for it in order to unlock it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by P_Mc Investigator
Investigator

Re: Is It New or Is it Second-hand?

Hi,

I bought the pay as you go phone direct from EE in one of their stores. What do I need to do? And will it be free of charge to unlock it?

Thank you.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You can just apply using the Unlocking your device form as the PAYG option and giving the original mobile number that it came with. It is free for PAYG devices.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by P_Mc Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

Thank you for your help. Just one more question. To be correctly registered, do I just add the card details to my account through My EE and then request the unlock using the online form? I assume that the card details will need to be linked to my account, even though the unlock is free of charge and will be used to validate my address?

Thank you.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The registration has nowt to do with any MyEE a/c you may create or with any bank cards. It's when the device was 1st purchased it should have been registered to EE.

by
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @P_Mc

Thank you for joining community 🙂

If you haven't already sorted this out, given the great help provided by @XRaySpeX

Please see our How to unlock an EE pay as you go phone or device support article and this should give you some additional help (if you need it)

Cheers

Richard

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.