by carpenter1 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

How do I access my phone account

Hi. Some days ago I applied to have my mobile unlocked and topped up with £15.00 to cover the cost. Today I received a text from EE stating, “We are unable to complete your unlocking request as your account is not correctly registered. Please contact Customer Services for more information if you’d like to proceed with your unlocking request”
Phoned Customer Services and was immediately told that my balance was £15.00 confirming that the top up had gone through. When I spoke to the CS agent however, he  asked how my last top up had been made. I replied that the top up had been made through Ding an EE top up partner. This was the wrong answer and after a long, long discussion he still would not discuss my problem but promised to investigate and can me back. So far, he has not done so. There is £15.00 in my account to pay for the unlocking of my phone. 

The money is in my account, they know that I want to unlock my phone but say that there is nothing that they can do unless I tell them how (Ding) paid the money into my account and I can’t. Any ideas?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: How do I access my phone account

@carpenter1 wrote:

When I applied for the unlocking I was told to make sure that there was enough credit on my phone to pay that service

That was presumably by using the online unlock form? You can't use that for devices not bought from EE directly as they are not registered with EE, which fits with the text you received from EE. Therefore your subsequent attempt to discuss that with EE & failing their security check is pointless to pursue.

Have you phoned the no. I gave you? They are set up to deal with non-EE custs who have bought 2nd-hand phones or not bought them from EE. They won't be asking security Qs of complete strangers.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
23 REPLIES 23
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@carpenter1  Did you get this device yourself from EE ?  If you did are you using the SIM card that came with this device? 

Established Contributor

No, got it from Argos and the original sim was replaced in an EE store when the phone died on me.

Established Contributor

Chris, my problem is not with the phone. The problem lies in the fact that EE have acknowledged my application for unlocking, have confirmed that there is £15.00 credit on the phone to pay for that unlocking, but say that because I gave a wrong answer to their security question, they cannot access my account to sort out the registration anomaly. The agents question was “What was my last top up and how was it paid for?” Now the honest answer to that question is that it was paid online by debit card. However, that was not the reply he was looking for and so did not allow the access to my account. Now in their original text, EE stayed that if I wanted to proceed with the unlocking I should contact Customer Services and I have and look where it’s got me. They’ve got the cash for the unlocking but can’t proceed because I don’t know how Ding transferred my cash into my account.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

To unlock a phone not bought directly from EE you need to call Customer Services on 0800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

They should be prepared to ask you another security Q if you don't know 1.

Established Contributor

Hi and thank you for your input. When I applied for the unlocking I was told to make sure that there was enough credit on my phone to pay that service and so I topped up by £15.00. I then received an email stating that it might take up to 10 days to complete the procedure. 

With regard to the security question, the agent was adamant that if I could not give the reply that they expected, then they could not proceed. There was no question of an alternative security question.  I have also spoken to a Ding representative via their chatline, and their advice was that since they work in partnership with EE Everything I should speak to another agent.

The main issue at the moment for me is the let down. The guy said that he would definitely phone me back this evening and he did not.

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@carpenter1 wrote:

When I applied for the unlocking I was told to make sure that there was enough credit on my phone to pay that service

That was presumably by using the online unlock form? You can't use that for devices not bought from EE directly as they are not registered with EE, which fits with the text you received from EE. Therefore your subsequent attempt to discuss that with EE & failing their security check is pointless to pursue.

Have you phoned the no. I gave you? They are set up to deal with non-EE custs who have bought 2nd-hand phones or not bought them from EE. They won't be asking security Qs of complete strangers.

Established Contributor

Thank you for that info, will phone the number later today. Since I gave the EE agent all of  the details I’ve given here, including the fact that the phone was bought from Argos, then I can see no reason why he couldn’t have come up with the same info that you have. Will update on the pending  phone call later. Meanwhile, thank you yet again.

Established Contributor

In retrospect, it would appear that the agent I spoke to yesterday went out of his way to be uncooperative. Time after time he said he would put me on hold while he spoke to his supervisor, but always came back saying there was nothing he could do. And even when he said that he would have to investigate the matter fully then phone me back in the evening, he did not phone.

What a difference a few hours and a different agent make. This morning dialled 150, explained about the unlocking application and my call yesterday to his colleague and his reply was that he didn’t know what the colleague was on about but that he would sort the unlocking matter out immediately and he did. Code is on its way. I didn’t have to phone the number provided in an earlier reply but it is still there for anyone who might encounter a similar problem.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @carpenter1

We maintain the highest standards of data privacy and security to protect your personal details and other information about your account because we want you to feel completely confident about using our services.

We regularly review our processes and procedures to protect your personal information from unauthorised access and use, accidental loss and/or destruction.

I'm delighted to see that the second agent was able to verify the account with you and process the unlocking request.

Fingers crossed that it's done speedily for you.

Thank you

Chris

Established Contributor

Hi Christopher and thank you for your reply. After roughly 10 years, I am only too well aware of the fact that you “maintain the highest standards of data privacy and security to protect my details etc”. In fact, they are so good, that right from the very beginning, even I, the account holder, have had great difficulty in accessing my online account. And as for feeling confident about using your services, perhaps you as the provider feels confident, but I as the consumer, most certainly do not. As far as I’m concerned, the appalling service I got from the EE agent yesterday was par for the course for me, whilst the excellent service I got this morning was in my experience a one off.

by

Thanks for your reply, @carpenter1.

I understand that you're extremely upset about the customer service experience.

I recommend speaking to our complaints team when you get a few minutes to give them some more information about this.

They have access to your account and will be able to open a complaint against it.

Hopefully they can find a resolution to this for you.

Chris

Established Contributor

Just an update. Was about to contact Customer Services when I discovered that I could make emergency calls only despite having a credit balance on my account. Then decided that I would discuss  this latest concern with someone on the EE chatline but apparently the agents aren’t trained to deal with payg phone issues. Finally decided to try to access my account online but when I went to sign in after my user and password were loaded automatically from my iPad, the page itself wouldn’t load. And it wouldn’t load, time after time after time. It would appear, that my patience, tolerance and understanding are unlimited. They would have to be today😀😀

by
EE Employee

This is very unusual @carpenter1

I think you may need to give customer services a quick call to look further into this for you.

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

Lee said: “I think you may need to give Customer Services a quick call to look further into this for you”. Well, I did Lee and what was the result? Chaos, confusion, disarray and mayhem - that’s what it was. Unlike the agent I spoke to this morning who was most helpful and cooperative, the one tonight was even more adamant that he would not discuss my account unless I could tell him how the last top up was paid into my account. And there was a second security question but he could not ask it because I had been unable to answer the first. Moreover, he said that the agent who had allowed me access this morning was totally out of order and would as far as I could make out, would be reported in the morning for contravening security rules. 

If, by any chance there is an EE employee reading this thread perhaps they can pass a message on to the powers that be. Tell them that this consumer has bent over backwards to get his account sorted out but now it’s up to EE. You care about your customers? Then let’s see some action on your part to sort out the chaotic situation caused by conflicting advice passed out by Customer Services personal. The situation is that:

1. I can’t discuss my CSS on 150 because I can’t answer the security question and I can’t get an alternative question because I failed to answer the first.

2.  I can’t discuss the matter on the chatline because the agents aren’t trained in payg but may be in the future, and;

3. I am unable to access my account online.

Established Contributor

In the previous post, I should have said that both agents who refused to discuss my account, suggested that I should travel into town, (20 miles away), to prove my identity. I actually did that last week when the phone died on me and I called into the store. At that time, the young man in the store asked for either my passport or my driving licence as proof of identity. I handed over my driving licence and he took it away to make a photocopy. Presumably, that photocopy still exists somewhere in the EE system.

by

Hello there @carpenter1

Did you advise you had provided this information to the store when you spoke to customer services?

Has your online account worked previously for you?

Thanks, Leanne.

Established Contributor

Hi Leanne, yes, told the guy 2 nights ago and yes I have accessed my online account previously, but very, very, rarely do I get access. Nowadays, as soon as I try to log on, I get the ‘Too many redirects’ message time after time. I have never ever had this message when trying to access any of my other online accounts.

by

Thanks for the quick reply @carpenter1

Have you tried clearing all cookies and cache then opening in a new web browser?

Thanks. Leanne.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions