by Laila-1234 Investigator
Investigator

How can I get my phone unlocked before I'm 6 months into the contract

Hi. 

I've been with EE in some form or the other (T mobile/Orange) since 2006.  Recently I upgraded to an Iphone 7 in October and due to some urgent reasons I am looking to unlock my phone before I'm 6 months into the contract.  I have spoken to a customer advisor just now who was lovely, but gave me a flat 'no' when I requested this.  Is anyone aware of any other way I can get this done.  I have to travel abroad urgently for 2 weeks, where I have a local number which all my contacts there use and I really cant use EE or afford the roaming charges for calls/texts/data. 

Help!

Laila

5 REPLIES 5
by Zycore Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: How can I get my phone unlocked before I'm 6 months into the contract

Unfortunately and officially EE can not assist you with the unlocking the device before the 6 month period, as it is part of an agreement called deferred ownership. Meaning you are not able to sell the device in this time.

However you can get it unlocked at a local High Street Phone Store or Online unlocking service, however this can void warranty the phone may have. It is down to your selves to check this and all liability will fall upon yourselves if the device is damaged.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
Ways to get in touch with EE/Orange/T-Mobile
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Laila-1234   Do not use a 3rd party to try and unlock the device as they will only go the same route and ask EE to try and do this and will probably charge you more.  If they have another way to get the device unlocked then the device can relock back to EE on any iOS updates as the device hasn't been unlocked officially, as only the networks can request Apple to move the device to a white list of permanently unlocked devices.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi,  

The only legitimate way is to discharge the remainder of your contract then the phone belongs to you and you can ask for it to be unlocked. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Laila-1234 Investigator
Investigator

Thank you to everyone for your replies.  

I dont want to do anything unethical or illegal but its frustrating that they cant help me out in an out-of-the-ordinary situation, and now I'll be forced to either buy another device (definitely not with EE!) or be without any mode of communication. 

I dont think I'll be renewing through EE now. 

Thanks again everyone. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Laila-1234  As you don't own the device for the first 6 months  you have it hire purchase it's never going to be possible to unlock it.    If you purchase any PAYG device from EE these can be unlocked straight the way as you have purchased it outright.  

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.