by pbiggs Investigator
Investigator

How can I get a PAC when I'm locked out of telephone customer service?

I called today to get a PAC but got locked out when I incorrectly answered the security questions (about topups, as if I have the bloody details on the top of my head).  The man refused to ask any alternative security questions instead.

He told me I could get a PAC online and said he'd send a link - but the link is just to a help page that tells me I have to phone.  He also said I could get it from an EE shop if I took photo ID.  Well, I don't have photo ID at present (not everyone has a driving license or passport).  I can send a letter by post but I bet they'll still refuse to accept my request.  I am entitled to a PAC by law.  I hope I don't have to resort to legal action.

If anyone from customer services is reading this, I would be grateful if you just give me a PAC by email, text, post or carrier pigeon.  I'm prepared to answer any security questions by PM other than about topups.  Thanks.

34 REPLIES 34
by
EE Employee

Re: How can I get a PAC when I'm locked out of telephone customer service?

Hi @pbiggs and welcome to the Community

Here on the Community we are unable to access any customer details.

You would need to speak to customer services and answer any relevant security details they ask to gain access to the account.

You can redial if you are now aware of the answers to the questions they asked.

Hope this helps,

Lee

by pbiggs Investigator
Investigator

I was told by your operator that I was locked out of phone customer services until I go to an EE shop with photo ID.

Also, why did he tell me I could get a PAC online when actually I can't?  You should provide an online method for disabled people as well as those in my situation.  I believe you are making it deliberately hard when customers are entitled to a PAC by law without any difficulty.

I am happy to give you my details by personal message.  I can supply all my numbers, address, date of birth and inside leg measurement.

by
EE Employee

Hi @pbiggs

I apologise for the misinformation that he/she has provided.

We cannot give PAC codes online.

You are entitled to a PAC code, but we do have to have security in place to stop fraudulent theft of numbers to protect ourselves and the customer who the number belongs to.

Some numbers are classed as high value due to sequential digits or meanings.

Many thanks,

Lee

by pbiggs Investigator
Investigator

Re: Moving your EE number to another network – How to request a PAC code

This advice is no good if we're not able to use customer service by phone for any reason - like if people don't remember their last topup details for the security questions, or if they are unable able to phone or visit a shop due to disability.  Where is the online method instead?

I am moving to another provider with better customer service, and I'm advising everyone I know to as well.

by
EE Employee

Re: Moving your EE number to another network – How to request a PAC code

Hi @pbiggs

I understand your frustration.

I have responded to your other post in regards to security and why it is in place.

If you would like to make a complaint in regards to the process, please do see our Ways to complain guide.

Many thanks,

Lee

by pbiggs Investigator
Investigator

I understand the need for security but I could have provided ample evidence of my identity by giving the operator plenty of other details.  The questions he asked were ALL about my last topup, which I've completely forgotten about, then that's it, I'm locked out.

Security always has to be balanced with practicality.  You don't have ten locks on your front door at home.  You have only one or two because that's a reasonable compromise between security and convenience.

Also your operator mislead me by telling me I could get a PAC online.  I have a recording of the call which I can use to make a formal complaint.

Thank you for trying to help.  Shame all EE don't let you actually do anything.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@pbiggs.  But the thing about being asked security questions is you don't know what the questions will be and if you did they wouldn't be security questions as you can prepare your answers.  You gave incorrect answers what else should they do keep asking untill you get it right.  Remind me in to form Camelot that they when they pick the six balls for the lottery that they're the incorrect ones and then to have another go till the ones I want get picked,  As that is what you asking for. 

by pbiggs Investigator
Investigator

To protect my blood pressure and mental health, I prefer to send a letter by post to get the PAC rather than trying to phone again.  I will provide sufficient details to prove my identity.  I hope EE then reply with the PAC by post.  I will certainly will make a formal complaint if I have to do anything more than that.

Thanks and good night.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@pbiggs Pac codes are  given at the time of request or within 2 hours via text message, and that is a Ofcom ruling.       

by pbiggs Investigator
Investigator

Who are you?  Grand Master Flash?  Just a fan of EE?  Blimey, out of all the things in the world to be a fan of.

The second or third security question should have been about something other than my last topup when it was obvious that I couldn't recall my last topup.  In effect it was just one security question.  That is not reasonable.

by pbiggs Investigator
Investigator

Well, they can text me the PAC when they get my letter.

by pbiggs Investigator
Investigator

@Chris_B wrote:

@pbiggs.  But the thing about being asked security questions is you don't know what the questions will be and if you did they wouldn't be security questions as you can prepare your answers.  You gave incorrect answers what else should they do keep asking untill you get it right.  Remind me in to form Camelot that they when they pick the six balls for the lottery that they're the incorrect ones and then to have another go till the ones I want get picked,  As that is what you asking for. 

No random person with even 14 million guesses could have guessed the details I was prepared to give.  A determined fraudster could have discovered them, but then they could have discovered everything.  There's nothing they can do about that.

Funnily enough, we do know what the questions will be about.  They're always about your last topup - just different questions about the topup.  (Yes I should have remembered this before I phoned but didn't).  What I am aksing for is reasonable opportunity to prove my identity.  Asking about only one subject is not reasonable.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@pbiggs. What your asking for is a 2nd chance.  But thats the point you failed the first time around so why should a 2nd chance be given as you just might not be the account holder.      It's your account thats being made secure,  what would you say if someone has managed to get your pac code because thay had a 2nd chance at getting the questions right.    You'll blame EE for not locking the account the first time round.   So EE can not win can they they be damed if they don't and damded because they do.   

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Chris_B: Everybody knows the Qs! It's the combination of answers that are secret to a particular customer.

Still if you don't the answer to 1 Q they should ask you another alternative Q. That is EE's stated policy. That should be reported or complained about for disciplinary action. Not a 2nd chance but recognition that we're all human & can't always have all the answers in our memories at once.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by pbiggs Investigator
Investigator

@grandchris   It's perfectly reasonable to have a 2nd and 3rd chance to account for human failings.  Even EE is now apparently giving me another chance by saying I can call again.

Ironically, they would have greater security by asking for things that are infinitely harder to guess by a random stranger than approx topup time/amount.  The information I can give could only be known by a determined criminal and I'm happy to take that slight risk.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Your last top-up was for £10 Smiley Wink!

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by pbiggs Investigator
Investigator

Your guess is as good as mine, Poly.  🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@XRaySpeX  Thing is though was it is just this one question that was answered wrong or was there more.   

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Chris_B : Why ask me? The OP has already said they were only asked about top ups (not easiest thing to recall). I wouldn't question it unless there were other indications it was untrue. Why are you?

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.