by fdgfdg Investigator
Investigator

HELP trying to unlock second hand Apple iPhone

I purchased a second hand Apple iPhone SE a little over one month ago now, the guy who i bought it from told me that it was unlocked to all networks. He seemed like a trustworthy guy so i had no second thoughts about buying it from him. Later that day when i got home i put my sim card in the phone only to find a message pop up saying SIM not valid - 'the sim card that you currently have installed is from a carrier that is not supported....etc'. I made contact with the guy to see what the story was he told me he would have a look and get back to me. A week later i had not heard from him so i messaged him again to ask what was going on he said he would contact the carrier to try and get it unlocked, after roughly another week of not hearing from him i told him that i wanted my money back in return for his phone, what does he do? he immediately blocks me. Now im $300 out of pocket with a phone that doesn't work and no way of contacting him. I have told the police but they are hopeless and are yet to do anything.  

I contacted EE and told them of the situation they told me to fill out the phone unlock form which i did, only to get a message back saying that the request was unable to be processed and that i would need to call them. I have tried to call them but all of the contact numbers do not work???! I am calling from New Zealand but i don't see why that would make a difference as they do have international numbers but for some reason they aren't working. 

Could somebody please help me get this phone unlocked it has been an absolute nightmare over the past month trying to deal with this, i am starting to lose hope that there will be any sort of a resolution.

Thanks very much 

10 REPLIES 10
by fdgfdg Investigator
Investigator

Cannot get hold of EE from overseas

I am trying to get hold of EE but none of the numbers work. I am calling from New Zealand and have tried all the numbers provided on the website. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Cannot get hold of EE from overseas

@fdgfdg: Try the landline nos. in my sig. or even the Freephone no. over Skype for free.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by fdgfdg Investigator
Investigator

Hi Ray, thanks for the reply! 

so the 0800 079 8586 number should work through skype?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes & for free.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: HELP trying to unlock second hand Apple iPhone

You cannot use the online form for unlocking 2nd-hand phones.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on 0800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

by
EE Employee

Hi @fdgfdg and welcome to the community.

Did you manage to connect through Skype?

Many thanks,

Lee

by fdgfdg Investigator
Investigator

Hi Lee, 

Unfortunately i didn't manage to connect through Skype as it said i needed to pay for the call. Any other solutions??

Thanks

by fdgfdg Investigator
Investigator

Thanks Ray, i'm calling from overseas here in New Zealand and cannot get hold of EE on that 0800 number even through Skype, it says that the call will cost money. Any other solutions? 

Thanks

by
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @fdgfdg

Thanks for coming back to us in community 🙂

Have you attempted a Live Chat at all?

If you're looking for Live Chat to talk to EE Customer Services or Technical Support, you can access it in these ways:

• Across the Help part of the EE website - browse any Help pages and we’ll pop up an invite to chat to one of the team
  • Visit our contact us page

What support is available in Live Chat?

• This service is for EE contract customers only
• The team are skilled in account management, billing and technical inquiries about your mobile phone
• We can also discuss your upgrade options with you - just log in to My EE

What does EE chat not yet support?

• Home Broadband, EE TV or landline inquiries
• Orange or T-Mobile customers
• Pay as you go customers
• Business accounts

For all of these types of inquiry – please use the Contact us page to call us

Let me know how you get on.

Richard

🙂

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @fdgfdg,

You can find all EE contact numbers on our get in touch page.

Hope this helps.

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.