by Shirl1 Investigator
Investigator

Free PAYG unlock if bought from EE shop

I looked on EEs website about unlocking my cheap PAYG Mobiwire Pictor phone which I bought from an EE shop. It seemed to say it would be free as I bought it directly from EE and it wasn't 2nd hand.

So I went ahead and filled in the form online to get my free unlock code, only to be told by the confirmation email that I would be charged £8.99 for the code from my PAYG balance.

This doesn't sound right to me, plus it's more than what the phone is worth! Can anyone help?

Thanks

Shirl

6 REPLIES 6
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: Free PAYG unlock if bought from EE shop

Hello @Shirl1 you are correct it is free of charge to unlock an EE PAYG device purchased directly. You should not be charged for the unlock but if you are you can query it through customer service:

http://ee.co.uk/help/get-in-touch

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Shirl1  Are you using the SIM card that came with the device? 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Shirl1

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

As indicated above, there is no cost involved with unlocking a pay as you go device that was purchased directly with EE.

It must be the mobile number that came with the device that you put on the request form.

If you'd like to discuss this further, please contact our customer service team.

Chris 🙂

by Shirl1 Investigator
Investigator

Hi @Christopher_G

I had the EE sim already. My old phone stopped working properly and I went into the EE Store and bought another phone (with a £10 credit) which was locked to EE.

The shop did everything and ported across all my numbers from my old phone.

Shirl 

by Shirl1 Investigator
Investigator

Hi @Chris_B

I 'think' the EE shop used the previous EE SIM and then copied over my contacts from the old broken phone.

Shirl

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for getting back to us, @Shirl1.

Did you keep the receipt when you purchased the phone? Or the box that it came in?

They should have provided a new SIM with the new pay as you go phone (even if you weren't going to use it).

That SIM would have a mobile number with it.

You can request the unlock using that mobile number and it would be free.

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.