by mouad0207 Investigator
Investigator

EE tells iphone is unlocked, but is in fact still locked.

Hello, I bought an iPhone X from someone on contract. I thought it would be automatically unlocked since the phone is over 18months old. Seems not to be the case.

So, I called the customer service to request an unlock for this device. I gave them the information they need to start the unlocking process. They told me it would be unlocked within 24h. After 24h I called back and they said the phone was unlocked. I even reached out to facebook support. They also stated that the phone was unlocked. Obviously it was not unlocked since I couldn't use any sim we have at home. I waited some time, did the factory reset on the phone many times, tried the sim of my sister and girlfriend but nothing. I even reached out to an Apple senior engineer to have this checked. He confirmed the IMEI number for that device was still locked to EE. 

With this information I called to EE customer service. I've lost count for the amount of calls I made. They send me higher up to the unlocking team. They told me the unlocking process was put on hold since I had not paid the unlocking fee of 8,99. This information was new to me. Anyway, I paid the fee and was told the device should not take long to be unlocked. I got message from facebook support that the device has been unlocked. However, I still can't use any sim with this phone. I also checked the website with the IMEI number and it tells me the phone is still locked to EE. I've waited some time, did the factory reset through iTunes again but no result in the end.. sim still not valid.

Why is facebook support and customer service telling the opposite of what the site and apple states?

I need the phone to be unlocked very soon because my work depends on it. I have spend hours calling back and forth to get this issue resolved. The last time I bought an iPhone the carrier (02) unlocked the phone within 24h. Way is it so difficult this time... Help/suggestions is welcome.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: EE tells iphone is unlocked, but is in fact still locked.

Good Morning @mouad0207

Thanks for coming to the community. 

By Facebook support is this EE Facebook support?

I have sent you a private message for further information. 

Speak soon, 

Katie 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@mouad0207   What network sim have you put in the device?   If it was a 3 sim try a o2 or vodaphone sim.  If it works with them it will now work with a 3 sim.    

The sim that is put in the device must also be activated. 

Investigator

Hello, i tried Orange and Proximus. I use Proximus even when i come to the uk thanks to the roaming service. I live in Belgium but i travel back and forth to the uk quite often. i wont be back until next month though to test with Vodafone or o2. It should work with any sim if it’s unlocked.

I went this morning to the Proximus store and an Apple retail store to have this issue fixed. My provider tried a new sim and his own but no luck. They told me the phone is still locked. the apple retail store confirmed this. .

And by facebook support i mean EE facebook support. 

Investigator

I had the Mobile Care team on the phone. They told me I must activate the phone with a UK sim before I can use with any other sim. I've never heard of this before...

Isn't the unlocking process meant to be used with any sim? What difference does it make when I use a non-uk or uk sim? As long as it's not a EE sim it shouldn't matter what sim I use? Or is this just misinformation?

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.