by Ruibarbo Investigator
Investigator

EE says my iPhone isn't linked to their network and cannot unlock it.

I bought an iPhone 4s a year ago with the imei and ee as the network  on the shop receipt. I migrated my number to Giff gaff a week ago to use in a new phone. OK I should have tried to   unlock the iPhone before migrating as I had to call ee customer services to give the imei as the phone number was no longer on their network. They told me that the imei wasn't registered to ee and can't therefore unlock it.

But I've been topping up with ee for the past year. The imei and ee are also showing in About on the iPhone. How can they say that the imei is not registered to them?

And how can I unlock the phone? The shop that sold me it said they would do it for £30 if I gave them the imei. But ee were going to do it for free... Until they checked the imei and said it wasn't locked to their network.

11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: EE says my iPhone isn't linked to their network and cannot unlock it.

Did you buy this device yourself new direct from EE or is it 2nd-hand? The process & costs are different.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Ruibarbo Investigator
Investigator

Hi XRaySpeX

Mobile was bought in an independent shop. My guess now is that it is a recon but it did come boxed.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on 0800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Ruibarbo Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for your quick reply... I did check that the imei wasn't blacklisted but after customer services having told me that they are unable to unlock there's no point trying them again.

Obviously the phone must have a "history" but what I find dificult to understand is how I could go and buy an ee sim tomorrow, the phone would work but ee would still claim that the imei was not recognised by (ie locked to) their network.

And being somewhat sceptical now regarding the shop that sold me the phone it seems a bit risky paying £30 so they can unlock it. Surely it's only ee that can "release" it (without "unauthorised" messing around with software) so how could the shop actally legitimately unlock it? Sounds a bit like a £30 gamble with bad odds...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I'm wondering, when they say that that the IMEI wasn't registered to EE, whether the original phone was bought from a reseller who never registered it with EE. EE should still be able to unlock it. It's still worth calling the no. I gave you.

The fact that EE SIMs work in it doesn't prove anything. They will work equally well in EE-locked phones (as you believe) or unlocked phones (as you've been told by EE).

Only the original network can liaise with the manufacturer to get it permanently unlocked.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Ruibarbo  the device could of been from a MVNO network that uses the EE network to give its customers a signal.   Virgin Media is a MVNO network so it could be a case of calling Virgin Media to see if they can help unlock the device.  

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Ruibarbo,

Welcome to the EE Community.

If the unlocking team have confirmed it's not locked to EE, we wouldn't be able to unlock it for you.

As @Chris_B said, it could well be locked to an MVNO.

Thanks

James

by Ruibarbo Investigator
Investigator

Hi and thanks for the replies.  They encouraged me to call ee customer service again just to check why they can't unlock the phone. They were very helpful and friendly. 

At first the unlocking team couldn't work out why the were unable to unlock the phone...  Then they checked the imei with Apple and it is listed as a GSX Non circulated phone by Apple. That's to say the phone shouldn't have been on the market because it had been returned to Apple or whatever.  This information has given me the arms to go back to the shop. 

So thanks again to the community...  It works!!  And ee have proved themselves top noch when it comes to customer services. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for the update @Ruibarbo

I'm glad we were able to help. Smiley Happy

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & you now know the true status of this phone.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Ruibarbo  Apple Global Service Exchange (GSX)   Is Apples tool for checking the status of a device.   Who ever did this for you used the GSX find out the information on your device and actually read all the relevant information that came back on the check.   And that’s what the first person you spoke with should of done.    

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.