by nekromantik Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Developer Annoyed at EE

Hi

I am a developer and purchased Google Pixel 2 XL from EE.

However found out just like Pixel 1 last year EE locks the bootloader and you cannot unlock it for 6 months!

I do not want to unlock sim I just need bootloader unlocked so I can do some work on the phone. I do not understand why EE dont give option to pay higher fee to unlock it early. Like 1 month after purchase. Or unlock it so we can unlock bootloader then relock the sim card only so you still cant use other sims.

8 REPLIES 8
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Developer Annoyed at EE

Because you are buying from a network who are protecting themselves from people who try to unlock bootloader and mess it up and then that customer expecting EE to fix it when it will just void warranty.

If you wanted to use it for development purposes you should have bought direct from Google.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Established Contributor

Thats not true, the 6 month rule is to protect EE from people selling the phone after upgrading. 

Most Android phones from EE can be unlocked anytime like Sony or Huwawi.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If you didn't buy it outright but on contract, EE own it for the 1st 6 months & you may not make any changes to it during that period. Getting mobiles from a network is not suitable for development.

Anyway you knew this was gonna happen from your experience last time. You went into this with your eyes open. Why complain now?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@nekromantik wrote:

Most Android phones from EE can be unlocked anytime like Sony or Huwawi.

Search this forum. Sony is the same you can't unlock it in the first 6 months. Same with Huwawi.

No phone can be unlocked in the first 6 months of a contract as the phone is owned by EE (if purchased on contract)

I suggest if you have just bought the phone and purchased online or over the phone and still within the 14 day cooling off period I would return it and go direct to Google. If its because you can't afford to pay upfront then I don't know what else to suggest as I believe Google doesn't have a monthly payment plan like Samsung or Apple.

But buying a phone for development from networks as @XRaySpeX has stated is not an ideal way to go.

Established Contributor

These are 2 different things.

All phones on EE cant be unlocked for sim card for 6 months but 90% of android phones can have bootloader unlocked without needing to unlock sim.

On Pixel phones the way Google has implemented the Sim lock is the same way as iPhones so it phones home. So on pixel devices if sim is locked so is bootloader. On all other phones this is not the case and you can unlock bootloader without issues,

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@nekromantik wrote:

These are 2 different things.

All phones on EE cant be unlocked for sim card for 6 months but 90% of android phones can have bootloader unlocked without needing to unlock sim.

On Pixel phones the way Google has implemented the Sim lock is the same way as iPhones so it phones home. So on pixel devices if sim is locked so is bootloader. On all other phones this is not the case and you can unlock bootloader without issues,

Like I said search this forum there is plenty of Sony users who are complaining about the same as you on their Sony device. IT is NOT a Google thing.

Like we have already said this cn't be done and you can be anoyyed at EE as much as you like but EE are protecting themselves. You may know how bootloaders work and be unlocked being a developer but others don't but still try and brick their phones then expect EE to fix it free of charge.

EE are protecting themselves from this and are well in their right to.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Comparing network unlocking as opposed to bootloader unlocking is pointless. The point is you cannot make any changes or alteration to the Equipment during the 1st 6 months of EE ownership.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Read more
2. Equipment You may get Equipment from Us for free or for an upfront cost when You take out a Price Plan, or You may be able to take out a Finance agreement to purchase Equipment from Us. Unless We tell You otherwise We will own any Equipment provided to You by Us for the first six months of the Minimum Term (see point 10.1). If You take out a Price Plan via a third party who is not EE and get Equipment from that third party when You take out the Price Plan, that third party may own any Equipment provided to You by them for the first six months of the Minimum Term (see point 10.2). During this time You will be required to take all reasonable care with the Equipment and keep it in good condition as if You owned it (see point 10.3.2). During that 6 month time period You must not give or sell the Equipment to anyone else without our prior written consent (see point 10.3.1). We will collect network data and Equipment details (using software installed on the Equipment) in order to Disable the Equipment in certain instances of fraud or non-payment occurring in the first 6 months (see points 11.1, 11.2 and 11.3). If You get Equipment from Us under a Finance agreement, You will own the Equipment from the moment of purchase (see point 10.1). You will have to enter into a separate Finance agreement and other terms will also apply to You.

The above is taken from the EE T&Cs

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions