by Leonardshaircut Investigator
Investigator

Currently with virgin mobile and want to move to EE

Currently with virgin mobile and apparently iPhone is locked to EE. Only found this out when I tried putting in the new SIM card that they sent and now the phone is not working.

Ive had enough of virgin and their appalling customer services and would like to move to EE. Will a SIM card from EE work in my phone? 

Alternatively, would EE unlock the phone for me as I have absolutely no faith in virgin being able to do this as they promised.

28 REPLIES 28
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Currently with virgin mobile and want to move to EE

@Leonardshaircut: An EE SIM will always work in an EE-locked phone.

Alternatively, to unlock a phone not bought directly from EE you need to call Customer Services on 0800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Leonardshaircut  If the device is from virgin mobile only they can unlock it so you’ll need to ask them,  A EE SIM card will work in the device though.   

Investigator

I purchased the phone from Carphone Warehouse outright, sim free, and I already had a sim only contract with virgin so transferred the SIM card into the new phone. Apparently virgin were using EE networks hence the phone locking to EE.

I’m just looking at my options in case there are any problems with virgin unlocking the phone (I’ve absolutely no faith in them) and then I’m definitely changing over to EE. 

Thank you you for replying.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi Chris, do virgin still use the EE network? If so, would an EE sim work in a virgin phone without it been unlocked? 

Investigator

Btw is it true that there is no unlock code supplied with iPhones and that it’s just done automatically somehow?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Leonardshaircut  The device is locked to virgin media network.  Yes they use the EE network to give there customer a signal but it’s registered to there servers on the EE network so only they can unlock can unlock it. 

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Right, I understand that Chris now, just thought with virgin using EE he might not have needed it unlocking, but makes sense what your saying.

Investigator

Thank you. There is loads of conflicting information about.

When I checked the imei number for carrier information it was showing as EE. I’m very confused and it’s all turning into a big mess.

Investigator

Can I ask another question?

When I received the new SIM card and the phone locked, I put the old SIM card back in the phone and was able to use it for a while until it became invalid. Should I just put the new SIM card back into the phone to wait for it to be unlocked. It’s my daughters phone and she is able to connect to WiFi for all her social media stuff.

I am pretty clueless and the virgin customer services are even worse than me.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What networks are these old SIM & new SIM for?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Leonardshaircut   It will show as EE as virgin mobile don’t have their own network as they are a MVNO network and use the EE network to give their customers a signal.   The device is registered on a server and that is the virgin mobile server that allows access to use the EE network.    

If you ask EE to unlock it they will not find that device IMEI number on their servers because it’s registered on the virgin mobile servers, when you ask virgin mobile to unlock the device virgin mobile will then ask EE to process the unlock and at which point EE will check the virgin media server.  EE can not check the VM server without being requested todo so via virgin mobile.  

As you put a VM SIM card in the device first it’s now locked to the VM server so only by asking them can the device be unlocked. 

A EE SIM card will work in the device before it’s unlocked though as VM use the EE network.  

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Leonardsaircut

Welcome to the community.

If the phone was used on the Virgin network and needs to be unlocked, I recommend contacting them directly.

They will be able to process this, as @Chris_B said above. 

Let us know how you get on.

Chris

Investigator

Thank you and apologies for being so dim but I’m frustrated with VM and their inability to answer any questions and just blatantly making things up!

I really do not understand why the phone would have locked as virgin supplied both of the SIM cards. They really haven’t thought about any of this when rolling out the new sims. Apparently the new sim is being seen by iPhone as a completely different network and that’s why the phone needs unlocking. 

If I just leave the old sim in the phone, even though it’s not valid, would they still be able to unlock the phone. Daughter seems to think she will lose WiFi if the new sim is put back in and she can’t survive without it!!

Investigator

Thank you Christopher G. I have contacted VM directly but they are useless so I was just looking at other options. Definitely coming to EE when it’s sorted.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Leonardshaircut  Wifi will still work as it has nothing to do with the SIM card.  

by
EE Community Support Team

We'd love to have you with us, @Leonardsharicut. 🙂

Chris

Investigator

Thank you. Got 3 mobile contracts with VM and moving them all to EE asap.

Im well impressed with the help and information on here.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Have you tried the VM Community?

We can only unlock phones that have been provided by ourselves or a third-party retailer that 
has registered the handset with us as the IMEI number has to be registered on the account to
request the unlock code.

says a VM Forum Team staff.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.