by BURNShurtz Investigator
Investigator

Could my ex reset my phone even with it blacklisted and sim blocked?

My ex stole my iPhone 8+ but I blacklisted the device and blocked the sim before she took it. Only just got phone back after a week, she has taken the sim out and binned it. The phone is on the get started screen, has she deleted my stuff somehow? We said she wouldn’t be able to do anything with it but if she has, will a replacement sim bring all my stuff back?

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Could my ex reset my phone even with it blacklisted and sim blocked?

Hi @BURNShurtz

You will need to call EE and remove the block, and order a new SIM. 

Have you checked iCloud for backups? 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@BURNShurtz: Blacklisting only stops it being used on mobile networks. It can still be used over WiFi & anything can be done to the phone itself. Looks like she's factory reset it, so it wants to "Get started" again.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

EE told me that she couldn’t use the phone for anything, not even open it.

Investigator

EE SAID thst the phone was completely locked and that she wouldn’t be able to even open it ( she knew my pc ) maybe it just goes to get started screen with the sim removed?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

They told you wrong! How can blacklisting, which is done by mobile networks, affect anything other than over the mobile network? Any phone without a SIM can always connect to a WiFi hotspot. Broadband providers, who mostly supply home WiFi, wouldn't even be aware of mobile blacklists.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Anybody can factory reset an iPhone if they know it’s passcode or the passcode option is disabled.

That’s why is always a good idea to never share your handset’s passcode with anyone or allow other people to set up TouchID or FaceID on your handset.

Blacklisting simply blocks the SIM card (which just blocks the ability to make/receive calls and texts or use mobile data).  It doesn’t block anything else.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@BURNShurtz  The passcode on the device has nothing todo with blacklisting a device and you can still open the device if you know the passcode.  A blacklist will stop the device from working on a cellular network and that’s it.    Unless you have a backup via iCloud or iTunes on a PC them everything on your device is gone.   EE do not and have no responsibility for the content on your device and how you backup that content.    The SIM card that EE will send out to you is only so you have a cellular connection with the device and that is basically your account as it has your phone number linked to the SIM card.   The SIM card has no other information on it about what was on your device. 

Once you you get the new SIM card and you get the blacklist removed from the device upon setting up the device you’ll be prompted to restore the device from a backup be that via iCloud or iTunes on a PC.    This will put your information/apps/photos back on the device.    

As mentioned elsewhere do not give your passcode to anyone else.  

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions