Highlighted
by
Explorer

Checking if device is unlocked after leaving EE

Hello,  Hoping you can help.  

I just switched from EE today (due to connectivity issues after moving house, nothing against EE). But when I put my new SIM in the phone (an old Apple iPhone 5S, a 3rd hand mobile, not purchased from EE), I am getting a message saying "SIM not supported".  According to my new network provider, this may be due to my phone being locked to my previous provider (EE).  I didn't check before switching because this mobile has been borrowed from my step-son, who bought it off of e-bay or something similar, so I didn't think it could possibly be locked to EE.  But now I'm not so sure.  Is there a way for me to check on the Locked/Unlocked status of my phone after leaving EE?  And if it's locked, how do I get it unlocked?  

To be clear, I did activate my new SIM yesterday, and got an email today saying the switch-over was complete, before switching the SIM in the phone. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Checking if device is unlocked after leaving EE

@FaiRoH   that message on the device tells you that the device is locked and you’ll need to request it to be unlocked.  You’ll have to call customer services to request this as the device is 2nd hand and you’ll need to pay the unlock fee of £8.99 payable via a UK card.  You also need to be patient as customer services are extremely busy because of the current situation. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@FaiRoH   that message on the device tells you that the device is locked and you’ll need to request it to be unlocked.  You’ll have to call customer services to request this as the device is 2nd hand and you’ll need to pay the unlock fee of £8.99 payable via a UK card.  You also need to be patient as customer services are extremely busy because of the current situation. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Hi

Do you still have access to My EE?  if so a request to unlock a device can be made through this channel.

Judging by the description of your problem, the phone is not unlocked.

If you go to Menu > Plan > Plan details > Device Tools and click find out more under unlock device, it will tell you if it is unlocked already, if not it will take you through the steps of unlocking.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@iiKeieva   The device is 2nd so that’s not possible.   

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Hi Chris

the online form is the only way for customer to unlock their phone as the unlocking team is currently not taking calls.

The form i mentioned should pick up that it is second hand and proceed to take them down the necessary route to get it unlocked. 

This will mean the form being sent to the unlocking team who are working offline.  They will then confirm if it is able to be unlocked.  and if they need any information they will get in touch.  Also the form will allow a payment to be made for the 8.99

regards

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@iiKeieva  I’m assuming you know that EE have updated the online form then ?  

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Yup

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

You cannot use the online unlocking form for 2nd-hand phones.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@iiKeieva   So I’m going to assume you work for EE ?  nothing about this change has been said on here about this so called change of requesting a 2nd hand device to be unlocked.   

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @FaiRoH.

Welcome to the EE Community.

Please follow the advice given by @Chris_B and @XRaySpeX and get in touch with our Customer Care team 🙂

They will be able to help you with this.

Jon

Highlighted
by EE Community Manager
EE Community Manager

@iiKeieva 

I have sent you a PM, if you could let me know when you have received it. 

Thanks

Sorcha 

Community guidelines Community stars programme

Meet the EE Community teamHow to use the community
Highlighted
by
Explorer

*deep sigh*

Okay, so I've rung EE. I am being told that because the phone is not now linked to an EE account, they can't unlock it.  This is due to Covid-19, and that isn't an essential service.  So at this point, it looks like my only option is to get a PAYG sim card from EE, re-join EE, and just suck it up until the world starts moving again.  Which means zero reception anywhere near my house, and remaining with our household split across different carriers.  Unless someone here would like to refute this? 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.