by Doris_T
Explorer

Catch 22 - Can't unlock phone - no signal - not getting unlock code

I bought a Doro 508 simple phone from the Birmingham EE shop last year but it has never worked where I live.  My daughter and son-in-law have now found from the Ofcom coverage website that there is no/very poor EE signal at my house and in fact their opinion is I should have been queried about my postcode when I bought the phone and EE should have known this and not have sold it to me.

Anyway, if I can get the phone unlocked then I can use the phone on another network.  However, I have signed up to an on-line account and sent the unlock request and received a confirmation e-mail, but still have no unlock code; this was from early December 2016.  I cannot phone 150 to get the code as I have no signal, and also if I go where there is a signal I believe I will be charged for the call as it is a PAYG phone, and I have no idea what that charge is and whether I will run up an enormous bill (if so I might as well throw the phone away).

As it is a PAYG phone it is not covered under the on-line chat.  The unlock request is also chargeable unless the phone was bought at an EE shop, which it was, so I should not be charged for the unlock, if and when I get it.

I do occasionally check the phone when I am somewhere I can get a signal, in case the unlock code is sent by text, but although I have received other texts, there is nothing from EE.

I have even contacted Doro but they say they cannot help because (i) they cannot contractually give out unlock codes and (ii) the codes are not with them and are supplied to the network when the phone is sold by them to the network.  So I wonder why EE have to contact the manufacturere when they already have the code - somewhere.

I am hoping that someone from EE watches this community and will contact me to tell me how to resolve this problem.  I am really not happy with EE as I am over 80, and disgusted that I bought a "simple phone" but using it is the most complicated thing in the world.

HELP!

2 REPLIES 2
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Catch 22 - Can't unlock phone - no signal - not getting unlock code

You could phone the Freephone no. in my sig. for free when you get a signal or from any other phone.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

Re: Catch 22 - Can't unlock phone - no signal - not getting unlock code

Good Afternoon @Doris_T

Welcome to the Community! Smiley Happy

I'll send you a Private Message to get some additional details.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.