by rb3
Visitor

Bought someone's contract upgrade PLEASE HELP!

I recently bought someone's contract upgrade iPhone 7 Plus locked to EE on ebay - it was new, never opened with cellophane seal.  As I have never had a mobile contract myself my understanding was that the contract relates to the SIM not the upgrade handset so I purchased it, put a free EE Pay as you go sim in and have been trying to unlock if for 5 weeks now but nobody at EE would give me clear answer why it was not being unlocked.

Yesterday I discovered EE contract phones can only be unlocked after 6 months so I researched this and they are also not allowed to be sold for 6 months.  I am now aware the seller sold this iPhone to me within the 6 month period - he did not make this clear to me at any point during the puchase and it is now too late for me to make a claim for a refund.  

Because I inserted a PAYG Sim, EE must be able to detect the handset IMEI is being used on my account.  Will EE block the phone because the seller has broken his contract and sold the phone to me within 6 months?  What if seller defaults on contract payments within the 6 months, will EE block the IMEI?

1.  Should I contact EE and prove I bought the phone in good faith it is not lost or stolen and request that it is not blocked?  Would they do that?

2.  If I wait 6 months and hope that it is not blocked, will I be allowed to unlock it and move to another network?  The seller would still have 18 months to pay off so if they default on payments after the 6 months, can EE still block the phone IMEI even if I'm with another network? 

Do I have any other options?  I am devastated and any advice would be appreciated.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Bought someone's contract upgrade PLEASE HELP!

1. No, EE will not discuss this phone with anyone other than the original owner.
  2. Yes, you may apply for it to be unlocked as a 2nd-hand phone by calling EE & paying £8.99, providing it hasn't been blocked in the meantime.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
2 REPLIES 2
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

As you correctly identified the phone cannot be unlocked for 6 months as the phone still belongs to EE, the owner selling has breach their contract. As for EE locking it, or if the owner defaults then that is a possibility as is the owner reporting it lost or stolen. You will just have to hope none of these happen in the future. 

Nobody can give you any guarantees. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

1. No, EE will not discuss this phone with anyone other than the original owner.
  2. Yes, you may apply for it to be unlocked as a 2nd-hand phone by calling EE & paying £8.99, providing it hasn't been blocked in the meantime.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.