by Profile closed
Not applicable

Agents unable to blacklist/provide IMEI details of devices

Why in 2017 are agents unable to provide details of a device used on an EE account unless the customer either got the device with the contract or has called EE after purchasing the device to register it against the account?

In 2015 I lost an iphone. I called customer service to block it and each time I called (five times in total) I was told because I had not called to register the IMEI number on the account and because there was no out of usage charges on my bill to show the IMEI number not only could customer service apparently not see this phone they could not block it. Instead talking to me about a Samsung Note 2 IMEI number they could see (the phone that came with my contract and was registered and had not been used with the SIM card since getting the iPhone).

My iPhone never did get blacklisted. EE never did provide me with a Proof of Usage. Even though I had been using my EE SIM card in that iPhone for nearly a year according to customer service the phone never existed nor had it ever been used on my account.

I have called customer just now this minute and straight away the agent confirmed EE can not blacklist third party devices only devices bought direct from EE. 

This is not acceptable. Why is your system unable to keep a track of IMEI numbers used on the account like every other network?

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Apple/hi-i-want-to-ask-i-have-lost-my-phone-few-days-ago-i-need-a/td-p...

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/Proof-of-usage-for-second-hand-phone/td-p/549962

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Employee
Solution

Re: Agents unable to blacklist/provide IMEI details of devices

Hi @Profile closed

I am very sorry that you have had this experience, but I would like to clarify that customer services can blacklist devices that have been bought elsewhere.

We can check various systems for equipment history, and then take the relevant action we need to stop these devices.

I do honestly think this has been a genuine error by the agent you have spoken to.

Many thanks,

Lee

8 REPLIES 8
by
EE Employee
Solution

Hi @Profile closed

I am very sorry that you have had this experience, but I would like to clarify that customer services can blacklist devices that have been bought elsewhere.

We can check various systems for equipment history, and then take the relevant action we need to stop these devices.

I do honestly think this has been a genuine error by the agent you have spoken to.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Thank you for getting back to me @Lee_H I appreciate it. Alrighty then. 🙂

by JanickaQ
Explorer

Hello

I've had my phone stolen and the insurance company won't replace it, unless the IMEI is blacklisted.  However, as the phone was not bought through EE, EE are saying they cannot blacklist it, that it has to be done by Apple. Apple are saying that it has to be done by the Police.  The Police say it has to be done by EE.  And i am just in a vicious circle and cannot get it sorted.  

How do I go about this, can EE blacklist it?  Please help!!!!

Thank you, 

Jana 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @JanickaQ

Welcome to the community.

Our customer service teams have a number of checks that they can do for the IMEI number of the device.

If they are happy that the IMEI number was provided with the contract, they will be able to blacklist it for you.

If this is the case, I recommend speaking to them again.

Please let me know how you get on.

Chris

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Why are EE the only network who are unable to blacklist devices that did not come with the contract?

by

I've looked into this further, @tm90.

@JanickaQ - The IMEI can be blacklisted by customer services as long as we can see evidence on your account that the phone has been used with your EE SIM.

Apologies for the confusion. 🙂

Chris

by JanickaQ
Explorer

Hi Chris

Thank you for getting back to me.  That is the trouble, my contract is for SIM only and I was using the iPhone with it, as I already had it, so it was cheaer to do that way 😞

Best wishes,
Jana

by

As long as they can see that the phone has been used with your SIM at some point recently, they should be able to blacklist it for you @JanickaQ.

Please give customer services a try again and let me know what they say.

Thank you.

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.