by Kerry-1
Explorer

23 months and 3 weeks over, can I get unlock code free?

Hi, I've read that free unlock codes are available after 21 months in contract (with effect 01 Aug 17) but on phoning ee - I was informed that my contract must be 24 months complete.  I've now had my final bill.  Could anybody clarify if I can now proceed with my request without incurring the £8.99 cost?  It's an iPhone 5s which my partner is now using with an ee SIM (PAYG).

3 REPLIES 3
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: 23 months and 3 weeks over, can I get unlock code free?

Hi

Please CLICK HERE to review the current unlocking process.

States if you are still wihtin your contract (so minimum term) you will have to pay £8.99

I would wait until month 24.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Kerry-1
Explorer

Hi BrendonH, thanks for your reply.

I've just found the answer to my own question.  The 21 month automatic unlock applies to phones bought after Nov 15. As mine was bought in Aug 15, it doesn't qualify. I'll wait another week and submit my online form. Thanks again.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, this was a change to EE's unlocking process from 1st Aug 2017:

Unlocking your phone - processes and costs

Any (contract or PAYG) Apple device which was sold on or after 1 November 2015 will be unlocked automatically once the device reaches 21 months old.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.