Highlighted
by
Investigator

Unlocking iPhone from Old Contract

Hi, I'm wondering if I can unlock an iPhone 6 Plus that my mum gave to me when she upgraded her contract to a 7 Plus. I have a EE payg sim in there that has been active for 2 months but the iPhone used to be on contract but has now finished paying for it. Can I unlock it for free still?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
Grand Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author Inyxzee
‎16-02-2017 04:39 PM

Re: Unlocking iPhone from Old Contract

@Inyxzee  Ask your mum to fill out THIS. with her details  she has to put her mobile number that was used in the device ( don't worry its just so EE can check ).  You must also select when you get to this point. 

IMG_1746.PNG

And then manually enter the device IMEI number.   To get this,  on the dial keypad of the iPhone you want to unlock dial *#06# the number shown it's what you type in the field after you've selected " No  that's not the phone I want to unlock".   

Its free for your mum to unlock this device as it's her device and the contract for this device is finished. 

12 REPLIES
by
Grand Master

You can't but your Mum can. To you it counts as a 2nd-hand device.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on 0800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by
Grand Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author Inyxzee
‎16-02-2017 04:39 PM

@Inyxzee  Ask your mum to fill out THIS. with her details  she has to put her mobile number that was used in the device ( don't worry its just so EE can check ).  You must also select when you get to this point. 

IMG_1746.PNG

And then manually enter the device IMEI number.   To get this,  on the dial keypad of the iPhone you want to unlock dial *#06# the number shown it's what you type in the field after you've selected " No  that's not the phone I want to unlock".   

Its free for your mum to unlock this device as it's her device and the contract for this device is finished. 

by
Investigator

I don't exactly see how that's fair when my mother has finished paying off the iPhone and gave it to me. My dad got his unlocked 6 months within the contract and he hasn't finished paying it off yet. 

by
Investigator

Okay thank you 😊 

by
Investigator

Do I select Pay Monthly or Pay as you go when I click the link?

Sent from my iPhone
by
Grand Master

It is free to your Mum, but you are not a customer of EE so they charge if you apply to have it unlocked. As long as you can get your Mum to apply, or you do on her behalf, you'll be fine.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by
Grand Master

Pay Monthly as it was sold to your Mum as that.

by
Grand Master

[ Edited ]

@Inyxzee   It's only free for your mum as she has paid the contract as the account is in her name.  If you request this you haven't paid EE anything and so EE will ask you to pay a unlock fee of £8.99.  

EE have 4 types of rules for unlocking a device

A 2nd hand device/have me down device will cost £8.99

A PAYG device purchased yourself from EE is free.   You can not use a 2nd hand device with a PAYG SIM card. 

You can request a contract device be unlock after 6 months but it will cost £8.99. And it will not be unlocked before the 6 months so no point in asking. 

or you can request a contract device be unlocked after the minimum term has expired and this will be free to unlock for the account holder of that device you wish to unlock. 

by
Investigator

I'm confused, but if I use her number to unlock my iPhone 6 Plus won't it unlock her 7 Plus since her number is currently active on that phone?

Sent from my iPhone
by
Grand Master

[ Edited ]

@Inyxzee  Read my first reply to you.  I've explained what you have to do to unlock the correct iPhone.   I've even gave you pictures for you to see what your looking for.     

by
Grand Master

That's the whole point of the Q @Chris_B highlighted. Be v. careful answering it.

by
Investigator

Okay then thanks for your help I understand now

Sent from my iPhone
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.