Highlighted
by
Contributor

How does a PAC work?

Hi, can anyone give me some advice on the please?

I have an old Orange contract (probably 3/4 years past it's 24th month) and now wish to 'upgrade' my phone to a new EE contract I've seen advertised on a website. I've been told that I can transfer my number direct from Orange to EE as they are different companies (although owned by the same company) using a PAC.

I don't fully understand how this will work so can someone please explain in as simple a term as possible...

1 - If I request a PAC, is this then taken as an instruction to also cancel my current contract?

2 - If I use the PAC on day 5 of the 30 days it's valid do I still pay Orange for the remainder of the 30 days notice period needed to cancel a contract?

3 - Will my new contract start from the day I pass on the PAC to the retailer or from when I first turn on my new phone?

Thanks in advance for the time taken to help me out!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
Ace Contributor
Solution
Accepted by topic author MyUserName
Thursday

Re: How does a PAC work?

[ Edited ]

Hello @MyUserName porting from Orange to EE is exactly the same process as porting to any other network. EE normally prefer to mask it as an 'upgrade' and do all the work for you but in certain cases the standard porting process is used.

Requesting the PAC code itself will not cancel the contract/account this will not happen until you have given the PAC code to EE and the number has transferred over, this is the point your Orange contract/account cancels. You have to give 30days notice to EE from the date you request the PAC code and pay this whether you use it on the 1st day or the 24th. 

Your new EE contract starts from the day you take it out so like any other port the two will overlap until the number has transferred and the Orange account is cancelled. Here is a link containing more information on the porting out of Orange stage:

http://ee.co.uk/help/accounts-billing-and-topping-up/sign-up-and-manage-your-account/my-ee-account-h...

Here is a link containing more information on the porting in to EE side. Smiley Happy:

https://ee.co.uk/help/getting-started/joining-ee/keeping-your-number

11 REPLIES
by
Grand Master

You don't want a PAC. You can't use a PAC to transfer nos. within the EE Group, only to other networks.

You should ask for your existing Orange contract to be upgraded to the EE contract you want. Then your no. will be auto transferred & the old contract cancelled.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by
Contributor

I've been told by EE's Facebook support that as it's from Orange to EE I can transfer the number using a PAC. They said if it was EE to EE I would need to transfer it to another provider and then back to EE.

I can't have the contract upgraded as the contract I want isn't available as an upgrade option with the retailer I'm looking to buy from and direct from EE the contract and phone cost is far higher.

Thanks for the reply though.

by
Ace Contributor
Solution
Accepted by topic author MyUserName
Thursday

[ Edited ]

Hello @MyUserName porting from Orange to EE is exactly the same process as porting to any other network. EE normally prefer to mask it as an 'upgrade' and do all the work for you but in certain cases the standard porting process is used.

Requesting the PAC code itself will not cancel the contract/account this will not happen until you have given the PAC code to EE and the number has transferred over, this is the point your Orange contract/account cancels. You have to give 30days notice to EE from the date you request the PAC code and pay this whether you use it on the 1st day or the 24th. 

Your new EE contract starts from the day you take it out so like any other port the two will overlap until the number has transferred and the Orange account is cancelled. Here is a link containing more information on the porting out of Orange stage:

http://ee.co.uk/help/accounts-billing-and-topping-up/sign-up-and-manage-your-account/my-ee-account-h...

Here is a link containing more information on the porting in to EE side. Smiley Happy:

https://ee.co.uk/help/getting-started/joining-ee/keeping-your-number

by
Contributor

Hi Tom222, thanks for the reply.

by
Ace Contributor

You are welcome @MyUserName come back to the community anytime if there is anything else you would like to know. Smiley Happy

by
Grand Master

In that case, as you can't get an EE upgrade from this supplier, you will need to port your no. from the Orange contract to another network's PAYG & then back to the new EE contract.

First give 30 days to terminate your Orange contract & ask for PAC at same time. Then get a PAYG SIM with some other network & give PAC to it.

Second, take out the EE contract you want & bring PAC from other network back to it.

You're bound to be paying for some overlap incl. the 30 days notice, so I wouldn't bother too much about timing.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by
Ace Contributor

[ Edited ]

@XRaySpeX You can port directly from Orange to EE. 

I have already given the correct answer. 

by
Grand Master

@Tom222: OK, let the OP try your way.

by
Ace Contributor

Not my way @XRaySpeX EE/OPs way, they bought it up! Smiley Happy

by
Contributor

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

I have just come off the phone to a guy called Dean at Orange/EE customer service (really nice guy as it goes) who was more than happy to give me my PAC. He also confirmed that a number CAN be transferred from Orange over to EE. This doesn't apply to T Mobile though.

So thank you @Tom222 for your help.

by
Ace Contributor

[ Edited ]

You are welcome @MyUserName good to hear you have got the ball rolling with porting your existing number over, thank you for coming back to let us know.

Keep us updated if you can, hopefully it is not too long now until your number is transferred and you are all set to go. Smiley Happy

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.