by
Investigator

Can't Activate a Replacement Sim

I've just swapped onto EE from vodafone this weekend and have been given a temporary sim and number while I wait for the PAC code to go through (have been told it should transfer from the temporary number to my old number Tuesday) - but every time I've tried to activate the sim on simswap, I get this message:

'

• Mini SIM Activation service is temporarily unavailable - we are sorry for inconvenience. Please try again later.'

I've tried multiple times from multiple devices.

My EE account is up and running and I can see the contract details, but the sim just won't activate.

7 REPLIES
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Can't Activate a Replacement Sim

Hi @JazzySD,

Welcome to the EE Community.

As a new EE customer, you don't need to activate your new SIM card.

This is done automatically and you should already be able to use it with your temporary number.

Did you get a SIM plan or a new EE phone and SIM?

Thanks

James

by
Investigator

Hi James,

The replacement SIM was given to me so that I could use the phone while waiting for my old number to be applied to my new plan with EE (the PAC code was applied this morning and I have been notified the number should be transferred as of tomorrow). It's a new contract with a new phone after swapping providers.

I was given the sim with a letter sending me to /simswap to activate it. The sim isn't working yet (I'm getting 'emergency calls only'), so I assume the store attendants were right in telling me it needed to be activated?

by

[ Edited ]

Hi @JazzySD,

Thanks for clarifying.

Replacement SIM cards are for existing customers who may need a different size or have lost a SIM etc.

Have you been given more than one SIM card?

You should have been given one SIM. This SIM card would be allocated a temporary number which you can use straight away in your new phone.

The number you are transferring from Vodafone would then move onto the same SIM within 48 hours.

James

by
Investigator

Hi James,

I was only given one SIM. It came attached to a letter telling me to activate it as a replacement SIM. It did not automatically connect, so I tried to activate it on simswap without any luck.

I am still being given the 'emergency calls only' message. I've restarted the phone as well but that did not help. 

by

Hello there @JazzySD.

Thanks for coming back to us

Let me see what we can do to help you.

Is the account on an EE personal contract?

Speak soon Smiley Happy

by
Investigator

Hi Leanne,

Yes the account is a personal contract.

Thanks in advance!

by

Hi @JazzySD,

It sounds like you have been given a replacement SIM card instead of a brand new one.

I'll send you a private message with a link to chat with customer service online.

They'll see if they can activate the SIM on your account for you.

I'm very sorry for the delay in getting your new phone up and running.

Thanks

James

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.