by carob
Visitor

why does my text message not send

16 REPLIES 16
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: why does my text message not send

Hi @carob 

Can you provide some more information such as what device you have, are you in the UK, when did this problem start?

Have you checked EE Network Status Checker?

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@carob : For sending texts, check your phone has the Message Centre no. setting for EE as +447958879879.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by mook Investigator
Investigator

Having the same problem.  Bought a pay-as-you-go SIM, and unfortunately no one told me I needed to text "ROAMING" to 150. Flew to Italy, and now I can't send any outbound texts to activate anything.

This is on a Pixel 2 running Android 9 and I've already tried:

- Turning the phone off and on again (multiple times)

- Clearing the cache/storage on the messaging app

- Going to *#*#4636#*#* > Phone Information > SMSC > and updating it to "+447958879879",145

Any other ideas on how I can get my text messaging to work? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@mook : No one told you to text "ROAMING" to 150 cuz you don't on PAYG. Roaming is auto-enabled for PAYG.

Did you use this PAYG SIM in UK before you left? EE PAYG SIMs need 1st activationg on EE's home UK network.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by mook Investigator
Investigator

Yup - made a call, browsed online, and it all worked fine in the UK. It asked me to restart to activate, which I did. But now that I'm in Italy, my data doesn't work, my SMS doesn't, and only the voice line works.

And yes - I've already activated roaming and mobile access in the Android settings.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@mook wrote:

I've already activated roaming and mobile access in the Android settings.

Did you activate data roaming on the phone?

by mook Investigator
Investigator

Yup - everything is turned on in the phone's android settings.

by mook Investigator
Investigator

I'm pretty sure it's something else also because assuming there was an issue with the phone's data settings, then at a minimum, SMS should work - but it doesn't...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I seem to remember being told that SMS uses the data network but w/out consuming data.

All you gotta do is check your Data Roaming setting.

by mook Investigator
Investigator

And actually I'm mistaken - my voice dialing doesn't even work anymore. I just tried calling someone in the UK.

by mook Investigator
Investigator

Checked it - data roaming is definitely turned on.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @mook

Thanks for coming to the community.

Can you receive calls and texts?

What device are you using?

Leanne 🙂

by mook Investigator
Investigator

I "resolved" my issue. Spoke to someone in tech support - they were very friendly and informative.

That said, I'm horribly disappointed with the lack of guidance & information on the packaging and by the clerk at WH Smith where I bought it.

Apparently you need to make an OUTGOING call or text message in the UK before going to the EU for the SIM card to work - none of which is stated anywhere on the packaging or instructions. 

Online people mentioned in forums that you have to "use" the card before you leave, but the fact that I had an incoming call doesn't count as "use" to activate the card - nor does the fact that EE sent me a text message saying my phone is activated count to actually activate it for EU use. So basically my card is a dud now, and since I won't be flying back through the UK, I just flushed 25 quid down the drain and EE can't/won't even issue me a refund... =(

by

Hi there @mook

Thanks for coming back to me.

Did you ask our Pay as you go Care team about a refund when you called?

The SIM would need to have been used in the UK to make a call, send a text or use data.

Leanne.

by mook Investigator
Investigator

Yup - they said refunds can only be issued to UK residents.

I'm obviously annoyed, but to be honest, I'd just really like to see them include something more obvious in the packaging so it doesn't happen to other travelers.

It's upsetting because it just seems like a cheap trick to drive up their revenue without incurring any more load on the network.

by

Hi @mook

I am sorry you have not been made aware when purchasing the SIM.

I will feed this back.

Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.