cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I get charged for sending an Emoji/Emoticon/Bitmoji on EE?

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Here we'll let you know any charges for sending Emoji/Emoticons/Bitmoji from your device on EE.

What is an Emoji/Emoticon/Bitmoji?

Most smartphones now allow you to bring your messages to life in fun animated ways that recreate your movements and expressions:

• Animojis on the iPhone X and above can be used to create an animated animal emoji character of yourself to share.

• The Samsung S9/S9+ has an AR Emoji camera feature. The camera allows you to make an animated version of yourself, which you can share in short clips or GIFs.

• Bitmojis are now also very popular. These are like Animojis which allow you to create a cartoon version of yourself. You can send photos in different scenarios such as being at the gym. These can be created and used in text messages, and saved as pictures to use on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. You can also connect your Snapchat and Bitmoji to add to stories and location.  

How much will I be charged for sending an Emoji/Emoticon/Bitmoji?

If you have an older phone, have downloaded a new keyboard app, or if the settings on your phone are set up in a certain way, your phone may convert a text message with an Emoji into a picture message, which may be chargeable. Bitmojis will be chargeable when sent via MMS. 

For the latest pricing information, please take a look at the pay monthly price guide or the pay as you go price guide for exact details. 

This isn't something that EE or any network controls, as it's down to how your device works, but it's straightforward for you to change this. 

If you would like to turn off the ability to send and receive picture messages, see our Text messages converted to picture messages Help page for the steps you need.

Will I be charged for receiving Emoji/Emoticons/Bitmoji?

No you won't be charged for receiving any pictures to your device.

If you have any further questions, please tap "Reply" below.

22 REPLIES 22
Profile closed
Not applicable

Good morning @Katie_B,

There are of course, other ways to avoid charges! Like using google's photo's 'app' which I use quite a lot now or email! 😊

Kind regards

mAh8v 😊

Katie_B

Absolutely, thank you for posting useful alternatives @Profile closed 🙂

Katie

Profile closed
Not applicable

Hi, @Katie_B,

You're welcome! 😊

Have a lovely day! 😊

mAh8v

Soon you will not get charged for sending Emoji/Emoticon/Bitmoji on EE because GOOGLE have shown EE the finger and ( I LOVE IT!! )  we will be able to send photos, documents, emojis etc etc for free using Google's Messaging app. EE have been greedy, ignoring new technology that only Vodafone in the UK have been open to. EE have unfairly allowed these nice, free elements in iMessenger for apple phones, but not for Android phones! So thank goodness Google has put an end to that, and by the end of this month All android users in the UK and France will be able to send RCS messages for free. No thanks to EE.

Hi, I wonder where you could confirm if this went ahead please? I have just changed my contract to SIM only deal with EE and when I asked about sending emojis (😀😛😁 - these!) in a text message I was told the message will convert to a picture message and i would be charged 60p a message. 

I explained that I've been sending emojis in messages and haven't been charged in the past and was told "you were lucky, they have missed these off your bill!"

I am confused now,!!!

James_B

Hi @Mrs_S_A_Jones,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Yes, Chat is now available in the Messages app.

Please take a look at Using Chat on your Android phone with EE for everything you need to know.

Hope this helps.

James

Buffy-
Visitor

I have been charges over the last 3 months for receiving emoji's that people have sent me in reply to a text message, usually a thumbs up. It clearly states on your website that you will not be charged for receiving pictures so why have I been charged?

Katie_B

Hi there @Buffy-

Welcome to the EE Community. 

You should not recieve charges for incoming texts containing Emojis. 

Are you aware if your response has exceeded the charcter amount? this can result in charges?

Speak soon, 

Katie 🙂

nogget512N
Visitor

Right! Can I have a straight answer here! If I'm using bog standard old fashioned sms messages on my phone and I include an emoji like this! 😁 or this! 👍 do I get charged at all? I'm not on about other chat systems! Just the basic sms messages that have been on phones for absolute years! Is that a yes or a no?