by Mondrem Investigator
Investigator

Unable to send a text message to a landline number

I can’t send texts from my new smartphone to a landline number. The message is sent, and I am billed 15p, but the destination phone doesn’t get a text-to-voice call, as would normally happen when a text is sent to a landline.

I have a PAYG account with EE for my mobile, and an EE monthly account for my landline and broadband. My phone is a Motorola Moto E5 Plus (though the problem appears to be with EE rather than my phone).

I’ve tried one piece of advice I found on the forums, which is to replace the initial 0 of the landline number with +44 or 0044, but this didn’t work.

Any advice would be appreciated. This is my first smartphone and it’s quite possible I’m missing something obvious.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Mondrem Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Re: Unable to send a text message to a landline number

For anyone who’s been following this thread, or who may find it at a later date, the problem has now been resolved. I contacted EE’s technical support, and it was acknowledged that my texts were being received by them, but were encountering an error which prevented them from being sent to the destination number. For the curious, the error was this:

Unexpected data

A particular data value was found to be valid but was not expected to be present for the current transaction.

The bloke I spoke to admitted he didn’t understand what this meant, but handed it on to the next tier of experts, and suggested I should try again at intervals, to see if the problem had been fixed. This morning I sent another text to my landline and this time it went through: my landline phone rang, and I had my test text read out to me, and I also had a text from EE acknowledging that the text had been sent:

From EE. Your text message has been successfully delivered to [my landline number]

I hope this information may be helpful to anyone else who finds themselves in this situation – even though I don’t know what the cause was.

11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Who is your BB & landline with?

Is your landline handset not SMS-enabled?

If you miss the text-to-voice call on your landline have you tried calling 0845 602 1111 to see if it is awaiting you?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Mondrem Investigator
Investigator

Thanks. I hadn’t been aware of the number you mention, but trying it gave me ‘You have no voice texts.’

I’m with EE for my landline, my broadband account, and my mobile account. However I also tried sending a text to my brother, whose landline is a BT one, and he also failed to get a text sent by me converted to voice.

My landline set is not SMS-enabled, but I’ve had text messages sent to my landline which were read out by the automated service. If I hadn’t, it probably wouldn’t have occurred to me to try it myself. To be honest, I may never need to use it, but the fact that it didn’t work (despite my being charged for sending the texts) made me concerned it might be symptomatic of other problems. It appears that the text is sent to EE’s servers, where it goes no further for whatever reason.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂! Glad I could be of assistance.

Works from 02 mobile to non-SMS-enabled landline.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Mondrem

Welcome to the community. 🙂

As the messages are billed and showing as sent on the handset, it would indicate that there is a problem with the landline receiving the messages rather than the mobile sending them.

As the landline handset isn't SMS enabled, that would most likely be the reason.

Is your brother's landline SMS enabled?

Chris

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Christopher_G wrote:

it would indicate that there is a problem with the landline receiving the messages rather than the mobile sending them.

Untrue! My landline being used as a testbed for this thread works perfectly for SMS but is not receiving OP's.

Non-SMS enabled landlines work just as well SMS enabled landlines; just the delivery is diff. Anyway calling the BT Text Service no. will confirm it.

by

Ah, OK thanks @XRaySpeX.

I didn't understand that test before.

It may be worth speaking to our Tech Gurus, @Mondrem.

Chris

by Mondrem Investigator
Investigator

Thanks Christopher, but yes, XRaySpeX kindly let me try sending a text to an SMS-enabled phone, and again it failed.

It should work with my landline phone too, as I’m used to receiving them having them read aloud by BT’s text-to-voice service. It doesn’t appear to require any special account settings with EE – as far as I can gather, it’s normally provided to all phone users in the UK – so it seemed odd that it didn’t work.

I’ll do as you suggest, and contact EE’s customer service. Thanks again to you both.

by

No problem, @Mondrem.

Let us know what happens please. 🙂

Chris

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, @Christopher_G , it was done privately. Sorry I didn't log it here.

by Mondrem Investigator
Investigator
Solution

For anyone who’s been following this thread, or who may find it at a later date, the problem has now been resolved. I contacted EE’s technical support, and it was acknowledged that my texts were being received by them, but were encountering an error which prevented them from being sent to the destination number. For the curious, the error was this:

Unexpected data

A particular data value was found to be valid but was not expected to be present for the current transaction.

The bloke I spoke to admitted he didn’t understand what this meant, but handed it on to the next tier of experts, and suggested I should try again at intervals, to see if the problem had been fixed. This morning I sent another text to my landline and this time it went through: my landline phone rang, and I had my test text read out to me, and I also had a text from EE acknowledging that the text had been sent:

From EE. Your text message has been successfully delivered to [my landline number]

I hope this information may be helpful to anyone else who finds themselves in this situation – even though I don’t know what the cause was.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well done!

I'm sure I've seen a similar excuse with the format of verification code texts from banks to mobiles. What I think it is really is that EE's text spam filters are coming up with false positives on certain constructs in these texts.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.