Highlighted
by Pam_d Investigator
Investigator

Text received re direct debit failure.

I received a text message this morning from SupportEE saying my direct debit has failed this month and asked me to update payment information. It says “we’re diverting outgoing calls and data to our payment line”. My DD is not even due yet and last months was paid. Could this be a scam? Any help appreciated please.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Text received re direct debit failure.

Yes, that's a fake domain got up to look like EE, created only yesterday & hopefully gone soon. Both FF & Norton are already blocking it as a phishing site but other browsers & AVs may not yet. Don't go there yourself but if you do don't fill out any forms 😞 .

@James_B : Please report it to the domain registrar.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Definately sounds like a scam. What was the link it wanted you to go to to update your info, so I can check it, but don't yourself go there?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Pam_d Investigator
Investigator

Email address was http://id-support-EE.co.uk

Sent from my iPad
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Yes, that's a fake domain got up to look like EE, created only yesterday & hopefully gone soon. Both FF & Norton are already blocking it as a phishing site but other browsers & AVs may not yet. Don't go there yourself but if you do don't fill out any forms 😞 .

@James_B : Please report it to the domain registrar.

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @Pam_d

Thanks for coming to the community 🙂

I would recommend reporting this on our Phishing and Spam page

You can report this by forwarding the message to 7726. 

Katie 🙂

by Pam_d Investigator
Investigator

I am actually in the USA so will I be able to report this without being charged as I have not purchased a package for using over here. Only on WiFi for emails.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I appreciate this is a late reply, and there's some excellent advice from others, but just one thought that no-one else has come up with...

An incoming text message says that my outbound calls have been suspended/redirected and you think it's a scam. So make an outgoing call (to your landline, to a friend/relative, to your bank, to the milkman... it makes no odds) and see if it's redirected or connects 😉

Sorry if this is too obvious!!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@bristolian : True. I'm more interested in the impersonation of EE than the actual content of the msg, which, to me, is obviously a lie & instantly unbelievable, just like those peeps who phone me up from Microsoft, BT & Ofcom ..

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Everyday I get some kind of scam call, text or email.  I’m quite savvy and never click any links or answer but I fear for many who follow instructions from scammers.  It’s very frightening how many scams are doing the rounds. 

I tell everyone to never click links and to always google the legit number to phone a company back.  It’s better to be safe than sorry these days . 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's not the clicking of the links that's dangerous (I do it all the time inquisitively) but the filling in of the forms that the links lead you to.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

You're absolutely right, and I'd also consider myself pretty savvy.

Although I do recall one particular scam not dissimilar to this a few years back. I was caught off-guard and the first couple of pages of the webform were pretty basic details and I completed them. I think it was the third page out of 6/7 or so, when alarm bells rang.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions