Highlighted
by Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Need to Understand When, How and Why MMS are Chargeable

Hi Everyone,

I've committed to fully understanding any & all Out of Plan charges, and the first charges I'm receiving are 40p per MMS - on both my & my husband's accounts.  After looking at a number of Posts related to this topic, I have a couple of questions because I'm just not connecting-the-dots:

(1)  My understanding is that MMS are pics which equal data.  So, if my husband & I have "available data" on our PAYG Accounts, why would we both receive a la carte charges for MMS, and

(2) Before making my purchase decision, I used the EE Feature that helps you to determine "Best Fit Plan." I remember it advising me to take into account the portion of time my phone is on Wi Fi, and not to Over Buy Data.  So, with Lock Down, we're seldom outside the house -- the house is Wi FI enabled -- and the phones are connected to the Wi Fi in Settings.  Wouldn't Wi Fi be in first position, meaning if my Wi Fi plan is Unlimited Data (it is) - Wi Fi Plan should pick up the MMS.   Or, is there some subtlety I'm missing, and can someone explain what it is.

End of Day: I want to make the smartest use of my PAYG Plan, and the Credits that I purchase as I can.

Appreciate any help you can send my way.

CalamityJane

31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Need to Understand When, How and Why MMS are Chargeable

MMS has always been chargeable.

It doesn't matter of you have data available. If you send an MMS you will be charged.

MMS is....

1. Group text
  2. Long text
  3. Emojis
  4. Pictures
  5. Video
  6. Sound

The phone is determined if it's MMS or not so EE will charge accordingly. EE doesn't make that decision.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10/One UI 2.1)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Adding on to my own Topic - How fun is that 😁

Hubby's account also had a 12p charge for a Voice Call - even though there were a bunch of other Voice Calls where there was No Charge.  Excluding International (Where Rates per Call Abroad Add On apply), why would one Voice Call be free and another Chargeable.

I get lots of "Brain Exercise" by browsing the Community!

CalamityJane

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Thanks for the feedback Brendon. You answered a question I didn't ask, but my hubby asked me: "Who decides whether it goes SMS or MMS?"  If I understand what you're saying, it's the phone that controls that.

That reminds me though, think I saw something from XRaySpeX where you can go into phone settings and block MMS - Do I have that right?

And then one more question: Also saw info on an Unlimited MMS Bundle.  Is that available to PAYG folks?

Thanks again Brendon,

CalamityJane

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @CalamityJane,

What was the first five digits of the number your husband was charged to call?

Your phone will convert any message that can't be sent as a SMS (normal text message) to MMS. Please see Sending and Receiving Picture Messages on EE for more information.

We don't have a unlimited MMS add-on for pay as you go plans. So I can help you block MMS, please let me know which phone you are using.

Thanks

James

Highlighted
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @CalamityJane 

While MMS picture messages do indeed use data in order to send, they are messages that you send through your phone's messaging app and so that's how they're charged.

Depending what phone you have, when you prepare a message that contains video, pictures or some other characters (check this help article), your phone may well prompt you to "converting to multimedia message" or something similar.

As @James_B has said - with your chargeable voice call, your allowance will include all landlines (01, 02, 03 numbers) and UK mobiles. So what were the first 5 digits of the number that was charged?

Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Jane.. in my Samsung phone in Text Message settings click 'more settings' then 'Text messages' and change the Input mode to 'Unicode'.  This will help.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@CalamityJane wrote:

That reminds me though, think I saw something from XRaySpeX where you can go into phone settings and block MMS - Do I have that right?

I believe some phones will either warn you before sending MMS or can block them completely. Which phone have you?

MMS use the mobile data network to send but don't consume any data allowance. Hence you need to have Mobile Data ON.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: MMS - It Consumed my Monday and is Why CJ was AWOL from ee Community

Hi XRaySpeX,

It's CalamityJane here - A Learner, and a devoted XRaySpex Fan already 🙂

I'm back after a 24 hour hiatus, and am trying to "play catch up" on Pre-Hiatus Post -and- Share some new stuff that I've managed to learn.

I have two quick questions for you:

(1) How do I find a topic and/or Reply - that I partially competed, then toggled to another window, then try to return but it's disappeared!  Where did it go, and how do I find it?

(2) Found an old post of yours (circa 2017) where the discussion was again "MMS Challenges."  In that post, you mentioned something about 'disabling MMS' as a way to better-manage SMS vs MMS functionalities.  Is that still your 'valued opinion/perspective' on MMS Management and/or What content might you direct me to in order to understand MMS complexities/challenges/management strategies A.S.A.P.

End of Day: I spent hours outfitting my & my husband's unlocked Samsung phones with PAYG Packs and Add On programmes - in order to re-connect w/my US family & friends while we all 'muddle through' The Virus Thing.  Sadly, the "outfits" were flawed --> virtually all Txt messages we crafted to F&F were "converted to MMS" -- then immediately "FAILED."  FYI: There is PLENTY of Credit/PAYG Data/and WiFi-enabled Data (Non-ee) on both phones. Since no ability to outreach the EE Community "Life Line" due to systems maintenance, was finally able to "get it all sorted out" after 6 hours of independent research, and an ~2 hour call with ee Customer Service.

YOU were a big part of my ultimate success --> your expertise & advice enabled me to get done what needed to get done.  If all is now well, I will REALLY be able to text/call my Family TODAY!

Regards,

CalamityJane (CJ)

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: Need to Understand When, How&Why MMS are Chargeable-BACK & BETTER THAN EVER!

Hi EE Community,

This is CalamityJane (CJ), although since I've become an insomniac, perhaps I s/b "NightOwl" instead - LOL.

Long Story Short (LSS):

1. No sooner did I kick off this Topic, then I learned that the Community & My EE Account were all unavailable due to system enhancement/system maintenance - OH NO-Not That!

2. So, I followed advice in Sorcha's Blog, and decided to 'see what I could find out on my own.' [Thank you Sorcha]

3. After 6 hours of research on ee Community Content that is still available during the enhancement/update -and- independent research on the internet -- followed by a lengthy call with ee Customer Service (That is a GREAT Team! (in my opinion)) -- I should finally, REALLY be able to contact my Family, Friends and Business Contacts in the States TODAY!

Fingers-crossed that no more 'little glitches' or delays will keep me from 'spending time with my Family-Virus style.'

To Everyone Who Shared Tips & Suggestions - THANK YOU!  I tried them all, but didn't get where I needed to be until finally speaking with ee Customer Service.

As my Mom says: "Patience is a virtue (it's just not a 'strong suit' for CJ 🙂

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Hi James,

Pleased to "meet you." CalamityJane (CJ) here...If I'd noticed this message before my Monday unfolded the way it did, I think I could have saved myself & the ee Customer Service Team some valuable time.

I will ABSOLUTELY go take a look at the information you've recommended, and "yes too" to any information/instruction you can share about blocking MMS to my husband's and my phone.  Made it so they are both identical phones (Unlocked Galaxy S7 Edge) with identical outfitting (ee PAYG Pack, Lots of Vouchers Loaded, Call Abroad Add On(to reach US and Other international F&F).

Definite Thumbs Up to this post.  With respect to first five digits of the number of the Voice Call where Hubby was charged.  They are: 08456.

One More Question: After many hours, "got everything sorted" after speaking with Customer Service.  Ryan, the service representative, told me that systems/people are always working behind-the-scenes to scan for oddities/errors - and correct them.  Good to know!  The Question:  Is Someone in the Community a Reports Expert?  If yes, I'd like to touch base with that person to tell then how much I value the My EE Usage Reports and the information they provide about Out Of and In Plan utilization.

Thanks for all,

CJ

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Hi Brendon,

CalamityJane (CJ) here...Armed with all the info gleaned from EE Community and Experts like yourself, I spent a lot of time yesterday on the MMS subject and finally "got it sorted" after speaking with the EE Customer Service Team.

Not to "bore" a UK-based EE Community with US info, but I'm zeroing in on your first 3 sentences below -- CJ remarks appear in parentheses after your feedback:

1. MMS has always been chargeable. (CJ - It's chargeable in the UK, not charged in the US under my US Carrier/Unlimited Plan -and- since we talk a little bit different lingo, I didn't pick up on that difference until after I thought I had it all sorted out)

2. It doesn't matter of you have data available.(CJ-Still not solid on this but James shared some more info that I still need to check out.  Thanks again James!)

3. If you send an MMS you will be charged. (CJ - Again, you will be charged in the UK, not in the US -and- ee Customer Service shared these recommendations for better managing MMS:

-Send smaller, text only messages

-Have F&F send you pics via other means (EX: email) so thier txt msgs don't go MMS

-Look into other options for data-sharing that are available to all of us - some free of charge (Note To Community: I'm a Learner, not an Expert --> cannot tell you what those "other options are" --> but folks like BrendonH, XRaySpeX, Chris, or James should be able to point you in a good direction.

Or, maybe I should change my nic from CJ to "Born in the USA" (Love that old Bruce Springstein song !!!)

Thanks again Brendon

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, @CalamityJane , just to answer a few points you raised:

1. Calls & texts to most 08 nos, except Freephone 0800 & 0808 (Toll-Free), are Service Nos. that are not covered by anyone's standard allowances & thus are chargeable in 2 parts, a bit for EE, the Access charge, & a bit for the service provider, the Service Charge. See Service charge costs for calls beginning 08 & 09 .Your allowances generally only cover 01, 02 & 03 landlines and 07 UK mobiles.
  2. You are not charged for receiving MMS, only for sending them. So it doesn't matter how your friends send you content.
  3. Most EE Help pages have a Q at the foot as to was it helpful & allowing you to report any oddities/errors.
  4. Samsung Galaxies have a Messaging app Setting for Multimedia of Set Restrictions to "Restricted", "Warning" or "Free" (of restrictions not cost).
  5. If you have started to reply to a post & then moved way from it before sending it, go back to the post you were replying to & start replying again. It should say changes have been saved: Load or Discard?
__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: Sending and Receiving Picture Messages on EE

Hi Chris_G,

It's CalamityJane (CJ) here.

Lots of great info in your message - thanks for that.  I'm not an iPhone user.  Hubby and I have identical phones (Unlocked Galaxy S7 Edge), that are identically outfitted (EE Pack, Lots of Vouchers Loaded to both phones, and FREE to PAYG Call Abroad Add to connect with US/International F&F/Business Contacts as needed.

RE:

If you’ve received a message from one of your contacts saying:

"I've sent you an EE Photo/Video Message. Go to https://ee.mms.ee.co.uk/eeuk/ Your message is valid for 7 days."

This could mean that your phone needs to be set up for picture messaging.

Two things:

(1) My phone is new, but hubby's phone has been operational for years - w/a US Carrier until Feb 2020, then ee.  It's always managed picture messages "like a dream."  That's why repeated "Failures" became concerning, -and-

(2) When I access the link below, receive this reply:

"Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to ee.mms.ee.co.uk. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

What can you do about it?

The issue is most likely with the website, and there is nothing you can do to resolve it. You can notify the website’s administrator about the problem."

As a Learner, I know a few people  but not many...Any ideas who to contact?

CJ

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @CalamityJane 

Thanks for coming back to us.

The link will be sent to you in a text message if you have had a picture message sent to you and don't have picture messaging set up on your phone.

This will contain a username and password from EE to access the site and view your picture that has been sent to you.

Have you had the link sent to you in a text message?

If so, do you get the security alert when you tap on the link on your phone from the text?

Leanne.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@CalamityJane :

1. For most phones, you can download the MMS settings needed from the online set up tool , so.you can receive MMS directly w/out going to EE's d/load site.
  2. Try using another browser.

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Hi bristolian,

It's CalimityJane (CJ) here...Just realized I overlooked this message while reviewing the whole chain.  Probably because James also asked about the first five digits of the number that was charged (think I was mixing up James message and your message).

Hubby and I do have phones that give us a "converting to multimedia" warning -but- our

"MMS Fun" didn't stop there  --> Messages were being converted to MMS --> then immediately "FAILING."  Sort of an 'insult to injury' (hope that's both a US and UK expression 🙂

Meaning, the message converts to MMS --> which costs money, but...

Then the MMS fails --> so I was charged money for a message that didn't go through (i.e. FAILED) after the conversion.  Really wasn't too happy about that --> but Ryan from the Excellent EE Customer Service Team worked with me to get it sorted.

About the Voice Call -- As a Learner, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the support that AMAZING EXPERTS lend to the EE Community!!

Repeating something I said in another thread....I get a lot of "brain exercise" by being part of the EE Community.  It's like "learning from" da Vinci, Newton, Aristotle, Socrates, etc. (pick your favoriate) Great Thinker!!

A shout out and THANK YOU to all of the EE Community's Great Thinkers (I'll be watching you...)

CJ

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: Need to Understand When, How and Why MMS are Chargeable"

Hi XRaySpeX,

It's CJ.  I'm "dating myself" here, but I've been on a nostalgia kick today.  Are you familiar with an old TV program called "Kung Fu" - with the actor David Carradine?

Nutshell Summary: Carradine's character is called Caine - who ambles around the country in his bare feet, and (each episode), he finds his way to "someone who needs help.  Caine always helps by using his amazing Kung Fu skills.  He learned those skills from his "Master" and always strives to live in a way that honors his Master.  My Point: I think I'll "adopt you" as my EE Master : )

You are the "svengali" who will guide me to Great Information; Other Great People (like yourself) and help me to aspire to be an asset to the EE Community for as long as I am a "Semi-Permanent Resident of the UK."  [Earned this definition from Ryan on the Cardiff Service Team.  We worked together to solve an issue, and he came up "Semi Permanent Resident"-a.k.a. Foreign National stranded in UK by the Virus.  LOL-When life hands you Lemons, make Lemonade!  This is my home-away-from home and despite some days that I wouldn't like to repeat, I'm enjoying myself!! 

Thanks again,

CJ

Highlighted
Established Contributor

XRaySpeX (a.k.a. EE Grand Master),

Hit send too quickly, and forgot to ask a question about "Service Numbers (i.e. the number starts with 08 or 09): Is the Provider someone that I've asked to contact me -or- Is the Provider "cold-calling" me because he's interested in selling me something?

Reason for Asking: If "cold calling" to sell me something, this is what US would call a "Telemarketing Call."  I, and many other folks in the US go to great lengths to jam/bar/STOP Telemarketers from calling them since they're an annoyance.

My Point: It's another one of those "adding insult to injury" situations.  It's a call I don't want and didn't ask for - yet I will be charged 12p for the Service Providers convenience.  Just my opinion: I'm learning that I can't expect things in the UK to always work same way as things in US.  I'm really just sharing my Customer Experience.

Thanks for listening,

CJ

Highlighted
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@CalamityJane 

If you're receiving a call on your EE phone in the UK or EU, you won't be charged.

The service charge you're asking about, is when you're making an outgoing call to an 084 or 087 number.

The cost of the call then consists of two parts: The access charge is set by your phone provider, in this case EE. The service charge is set by the owner of the phone number, or the company who is using that phone number. And they, by law, need to tell you what that charge is.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.