Highlighted
by

Fake "EE" SMS Messages

It appears that I received "fake message", have just forwarded it to the correct number for EE to investigate. However I thought it was legit and opened it earlier on my phone , put my address, my email address, password, my birth date in... Fortunately I did't enter my financial information. what should i do??

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Fake "EE" SMS Messages

Change your password to your account ASAP

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10/One UI 2.1)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

& also on your email a/c.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Kaz15

Welcome to the community. 

Thank you for forwarding the message to us, our Security team will investigate that.

Was it in the text message that you sent them your information? Or was it on a website?

I recommend getting in touch with Action Fraud to report this to them. They'll be able to give you some advice.

Let us know how you get on.

Chris

Highlighted
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Would it be worth phoning EE and making sure they are extra vigilant in case anyone tries to get into your account? 

@Christopher_G  Does the EE systems have such a flag or ability to ensure if anyone calls they see a warning?

Highlighted
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Kaz15 

I don’t want to worry you further in anyway but I’d sign up for free credit report access to keep an eye on your credit file.  If you spot anything early on the report that’s not you it can be dealt with much easier.  It will also prevent you having problems getting credit in the future if you can track any activity that’s not your own. 

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, altho' you gave them no financial details, you have given much of the info needed to become victim of identity theft.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @Kaz15.

I hope the advice you've been given helps you to protect your details. It would be worth contacting our Mobile care team to make them aware of this.

@chistery - it's possible for the OP to call and set up an extra security question and a flag, I think it would be worth doing, too!

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions