by Weemuck

Do I have to pay for using memojis

23 REPLIES 23
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Do I have to pay for using memojis

@Weemuck : Yes. They are converted to picture msgs (MMS) which are chargeable & not included in your text allowance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Weemuck

Welcome to the community. 🙂

I see @XRaySpeX has answered you here.

If you send them via iMessage, you won't be charged. If you do this via a mobile data connection, the data used will be deducted from your data allowance.

You can find out more information about using Memojis/Animojis in a text/MMS message on our Will I get charged for sending an Emoji/Emoticon/Bitmoji on EE article.

Chris

by claireRich Contributor
Contributor

Hello

Could anyone from EE confirm what you mean by your reply here in regard to Memoji Stickers.

"If you do this via a mobile data connection, the data used will be deducted from your data allowance."

So does this mean you will not be charged as it is included in your allowance, or that you will be charged?

thanks ....

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@claireRich : It means that you won't get charged but your data allowance will decrease.

With EE you can't buy data directly, but instead you have or buy a fixed data allowance from which you can use data to go on the mobile Net.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

You are now saying you won't get charged but on September 30th 2019 you said they are chargeable and not included in your allowance - have the rules changed since then?

The reason I ask is because my daughter has just been charged on her bill and i want to know if it is correct.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, nowt's changed. We're talking about 2 diff things:

1. Emojis in text msgs (SMS) are converted to Picture Msgs (MMS) which are chargeable but use none of your data.
  2. Emojis sent by data using apps, like iMessage, aren't chargeable but eat into your data allowance. You raised only this point.

So it depends on how you send emojis. How has your daughter been sending them?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@claireRich  Emoji are sent as MMS’s and are chargeable.  If you send them say via what’s app or iMessage (iPhone only) they are sent via data and are not charged but will use some of the data allowance  It’s only charged when it’s an MMS as this doesn’t use the data allowance. 

by

Morning @claireRich

Thanks for coming to the community.

I can see you have had some great advice already.

Our Why are some text messages converted to photo message Help page, has full information on when you would be charged for sending a picture.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Leanne.

Contributor

My apologies, i misunderstood, I thought that there were only 2 options blue (iMessage & wifi) and green (sms), i didn't realise there was blue (iMessage and mobile data).

It went as a green because she sent it from her iphone to a blackberry phone.

Contributor

Hi Leanne_T

How do i know which emoji types are converted to an MMS in an SMS and which ones aren't?

For example if a put a standard smiley emoji from the standard iPhone keyboard in an SMS it will not charge me for an MMS, yet my daughter has sent a memoji thinking it is the same as an emoji and it has converted it to MMS

thanks ...

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@claireRich  iPhone to iPhone will go as a iMessage (Blue ) providing the receiver is also using iMessage as this feature can be turned off, if it goes to any other device it will send as a MMS. ( green )   You can send : - ) but not 😁 

Contributor

You can certainly send standard emojis on SMS without extra charges, there are plenty of messages that are green "Sent as text message" messages with rows of multiple "crying with laughter" emojis on her phone that don't come up on the bill. It is only this one memoji that has appeared.

I would like someone from EE to confirm which emojis are chargeable on sms and which are not.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Contributor

"Let me know if you have any questions."

Could you reply to my question please.

Thank you.

by

Hi there @claireRich

Thanks for coming back to us. 

As the message has been sent to a non iPhone user this would be chargeable, if you send any of the below the text message would be converted to a picture message.

• You're using an iPhone and sending features and effects to a non-iPhone user, or when iMessage is unavailable

• The text includes a non-standard smiley or symbol such as an emoticon, emoji, or Animoji /Memoji

• Your text is sent to an email address instead of to a phone number

• You're sending a group text message>

• Your text exceeds the character limit (on some phones this is 160 characters, on others it can be higher)

• Your message has a subject line

You can turn off picture messaging on an iPhone to stop any future charges, to do this go to Settings > Messages > Turn off MMS Messaging.

Thanks.

Leanne.

Contributor

Hello Leanne_T

I have one daughter with an iPhone8 and another with a Blackberry KEYOne under the same EE account. On the day in question they sent around 15 standard emojis each to each other and the iPhone8 sent the 1 memoji. She has been charged 54p + VAT for the memoji, so standard emojis, using these particular phones, do not count. I am pretty certain they have sent dozens of them in the past as well.

So my presumption is that certain phones can interpret the emojis without creating an MMS and some can't, and therefore the ee terms and conditions you have quoted can't cover every single phone on the market, so play it safe by saying standard emojis are chargeable.

Would you agree with this?

by

Hi @claireRich.

An emoji from the standard keyboard in the phone would not be chargeable when delivered to another smartphone.

In this case, the Memoji has converted to an MMS message because it was sent to a non-iPhone.

Other messaging applications such as WhatsApp would only use data or WiFi, so may be an option to consider if your daughters are using different phones.

Jon

Contributor

OK this contradicts Leanne_T, you are saying an emoji is not chargeable to any other smartphone (iPhone or non iPhone) as she said "message has been sent to a non iPhone user this would be chargeable......symbol such as an emoticon, emoji, or Animoji /Memoji"

So you are saying the emoji is non-chargeable to another smartphone, and a memoji is chargeable to a non-iPhone. This corresponds with the actual billing on my daughter's account.

So to be clear which ones from these are chargeable sending to a non-iPhone {emoticon, emoji, animoji, memoji} and which ones are not chargeable sending to any other smartphone?

thanks ...

by

Hi @claireRich.

If the service is not available on the receiving phone, it's usually chargeable.

For example, sending a Memoji from an iPhone to a non-iPhone is chargeable. Sending an emoji from a smartphone to a phone that is not set up/capable of receiving emojis will be chargeable.

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions