by AngusMac77 Investigator
Investigator

Can I cancel an sms sent by mistake to a landline?

I've sent a text message to a landline by mistake at 22.20 but EE replied to say that they would not deliver the sms until after 07.00 the following day so as not to disturb the recipient. I do not want the message delivered at all as I have re-sent it to the correct number. 

8 REPLIES 8
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: Can I cancel an sms sent by mistake to a landline?

@AngusMac77, text messages can not be unsent, not even in the circumstances that you write of. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@AngusMac77 : No, the text has been sent. It will be delivered either as a text if their handset is SMS-enabled or as a verbal text read out by the BT SMS Delivery System if not.

I've never heard of a network delaying them. You sure the reply was from EE? More likely from the handset itself or the BT SMS Delivery System.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Deffo a reply sms from EE. Look at this pic. 2019-03-25-23-25-13.jpg

Investigator

2019-03-25-23-25-13.jpg

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ah, OK. I still expect that was EE acting under instruction of the receiving system. Your SMS has left the EE network & is sitting queued at the other end.

Do you know if the recipient has an SMS-enabled handset?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Got SMS from EE this morning to say that the message couldn't be delivered so I'm happy with that. 😊

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @AngusMac77.

Thank you for keeping us updated, I am happy it has not sent for you. 

Katie 🙂

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@AngusMac77 I just received your text... How dare you!

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.