by
Explorer

BT Sport on TV, not app

[ Edited ]

hello, i am looking to get the BT sports app, my friend said he was able to put this onto his tv rather than his phone.. how would i do this as that would be much more beneficial to me?

thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution
Accepted by Northerner (Maestro)
‎19-10-2016 04:43 PM

Re: Bag BT sport on the app: Free for six months (register by 29 November)

Hi and welcome to the Community @tjbastow91

Just on the back of what @Schockwave has mentioned in regards to having the ability to watch the App on a TV please see the below statement.

Viewing on a TV screen:

The BT Sport app cannot be viewed on any digital media players. Mirroring using services such as Apple TV, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV Stick on televisions, computers or any other portable equipment capable of receiving or transmitting television broadcasts isn’t possible. So you can't sling, fling or cast content from the app on your phone or connected tablet to other digital media players.

I am not too sure how your friend has done what you say as we have no affiliation with SKY so we would not be able to link up to a SKYcard.

Many thanks,

Lee

12 REPLIES
by
Ace Contributor

BT Sport on TV, not app

[ Edited ]

Hello @tjbastow91,

Welcome to the community,

The sports app is not available for the TV, not sure how he did this. The only way your friend may have done this, is by connecting his phone or tablet to the TV and watching it that way.

I would suggest you ask him, he may be able to help, but you will still have to use your phone or tablet to do this, as it is only available on the phone or tablet.

by
Explorer

BT Sport on TV, not app

[ Edited ]

I did ask him, he said he was able to contact ee on webchat and they told him how to do this, they took his skycard details and put it on the tv instead

Sent from my iPhone

by
Solution
Accepted by Northerner (Maestro)
‎19-10-2016 04:43 PM

Hi and welcome to the Community @tjbastow91

Just on the back of what @Schockwave has mentioned in regards to having the ability to watch the App on a TV please see the below statement.

Viewing on a TV screen:

The BT Sport app cannot be viewed on any digital media players. Mirroring using services such as Apple TV, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV Stick on televisions, computers or any other portable equipment capable of receiving or transmitting television broadcasts isn’t possible. So you can't sling, fling or cast content from the app on your phone or connected tablet to other digital media players.

I am not too sure how your friend has done what you say as we have no affiliation with SKY so we would not be able to link up to a SKYcard.

Many thanks,

Lee

by
Contributor

One way that enables viewing BT Sport app on TV without a need for a sim card is to download on to a windows 10 laptop or tablet with  an HDMI output from laptop/tablet and connect to HDMI input on TV and no EE sim is required, provided you have a valid ID and password.  Don't know why this is not posted as a solution by EE directly as this is common knowledge.  All this can be done and is available on a home network Wi-Fi set up too.

by

[ Edited ]

Hi @Hip_Hop_Rob

Welcome to community Smiley Happy

Thanks for posting in community

Richard

Smiley Happy

by
Contributor

Thanks @Richard_C  As this is a solution to the question on whether it is possible to view BT Sport app stream on TV.  Don't you think this should clearly be marked as a solution, as it is misleading to continue to claim that this is not possible in the response marked solution above?

by
Valued Contributor

I am sure at the time of being offered BT Sport free for 6 months it said you can mirror anything that is on your phone, tablet or computer, which obviously isn't true from the answers above.

by
Contributor

[ Edited ]

ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION TO WATCHING BT SPORT APP                                                                                                 ON YOUR TV    

Simply download BT Sport App to your windows 10 laptop.  Put your id and password in.  

Connect your laptop (HDMI lead) to TV and use your home broadband. I do this if I want to watch on my  65 inch and it works flawlessly without a need for an EE sim card in my laptop device and offers an alternative data use to my precious mobile data plan.

I have posted this again as EE won't mark it as a solution, when it so obviously is to the original poster's question.

It saves on using your mobile data and gets you the bigger screen experience for the Holiday season and beyond.  Don't let EE's silence on this solution convince you that the post they marked as a solution above is the only one, it isn't.      

As to being able to mirror outside of the way I have highlighted, it doesn't appear possible

by
Valued Contributor

Thanks for offering your solution. Unfortunately, I can't really do this. I am in a wheelchair due to having a leg amputated.  I can't get to the HDMI sockets on my TV I had to get someone to connect my EE TV to my TV. I could get someone to plug it in for me and just connect to my laptop when needed. However, I have another problem in that I only have 4 HDMI sockets on my TV. I use all of them at the moment. One is for my EE TV box, then another for my Sky Box and I have two Sony HD recorders which I don't want to lose. I don't know if there is such a thing as buying something to give me more HDMI sockets a bit like an extension lead for electrics. Do you know of anything?

by
Contributor

Simple solution is to get more HDMI sockets and a solution to that is an HDMI switching unit with remote.  So you have an HDMI lead from the switching box to the TV HDMI input socket and you put the HDMI leads from your laptop/Sky/recorder etc into switching box.  The switching box remote will change your input selection from all theboxes like sky etc that you have plugged in.  So your HDMI socket problem is gone.....
Remember that you will need to pull out HDMI from laptop when not viewing through TV as sound won't come out of  your laptop otherwise.   Hope that helps
by
Valued Contributor

Brilliant thanks so much for your help you are the only one who has offered any help at all. I did wonder if there was a way of having more HDMI sockets which is why I asked. I have a similar thing for USBs on my desktop computer.

Of course I would pull out the HDMI from my laptop when not viewing apart from anything else it wouldn't be a suitable place to sit using my laptop right next to my TV! So, yes it did help a great deal.

by
Contributor

It doesnt need to be right next to the TV as you can get much longer HDMI leads nowdays.  I have my laptop on a side table some 12  feet away.  You can even get conectors that will join up HDMI leads if you have spare unused shorter leads at hand.  

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.